contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Goan Fejervarya (Fejervarya gomantaki)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Goan Fejervarya (Fejervarya gomantaki)

This frog was described only three days ago (on 7th August 2015).

I have been seeing and photographing this species for the past few months, and until this description was out, I thought I had been photographing the Sahyadri Minervarya. The new species has few external features that distinguish it from the Minervarya and the call is almost identical, but it has an entirely separate distribution range, restricted to Goa and a part of Belgaum, in low to mid elevation areas (Minervarya sahyadris is found southwards from Shimoga in Karnataka). The preferred microhabitat is puddles, fields and roadside grassy areas.

Canon 500 D, Canon 100 mm Macro USM
    SS 1/200
    Av 16
    ISO 400

A link to the details of the original paper (contact corresponding author for a full version):www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2015/f/z03999p094f.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good details. Nice to see it in its habitat. How did you realise that this frog was from a different species? You compared the photographs taken? Thanks for sharing the details. Look forward to more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrudul Godbole View Post
    How did you realise that this frog was from a different species? You compared the photographs taken?
    Minervarya sahyadris is not found in Goa according to the new paper. There are visible differences when the images are compared, but those didn't come to my notice immediately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting. This shows how less is our knowledge and how much more research effort should be directed to document our wildlife and wilderness areas. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    This shows how less is our knowledge and how much more research effort should be directed to document our wildlife and wilderness areas.
    I fully agree, and this is especially true of lesser known fauna such as the amphibians. Minervarya sahyadris was listed as endangered (IUCN 2004) due to its restricted range and degrading habitat. With the new species being split off from it, the conservation status of both these species is no doubt in urgent need of re-assessment and possibly upgradation.

Thread Information