User Tag List

Thread: The loud croak-er

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default The loud croak-er

ID: Fejervarya

Its been months since I have been frequenting Hubli and almost every evening have been visiting a particular area on the outskirts. This area is rich with a variety of flora and fauna but almost all of the times I could never spot nor hear any calls from any frogs which made me ponder why such a vast area doesnt house a single frog? Finally in the first week of August I heard something that probably I was eagerly awaiting, something that used to be the most common form of sweet noise during the monsoons of suburban areas of developing Mumbai, about 8-10 years back.
    With the sun almost set off, it was already becoming too dark, but just out of curiosity and since the last interactive session with Biju Sir(last year) I always wanted to encounter the frogs in their natural habitat, so I decided to locate, spot and frame atleast one of the source of sound. Finally after almost 15-20 mins of careful yet almost blind trailing(which had put some elderly person into worry and kept a suspicious watch on my activity) I spotted one tiny fellow and was shocked to realize that it was a really tiny frog. Another 5-10 mins of unsuccessful attempt finally managed to get a frame of the beauty, but wasnt the ideal one. So after a whole 40mins in darkness and several mosquito bites finally captured this frame, not the perfect one, but one of the best ones.

EXIF:
    Canon 550D
    Canon 100mm macro
    F/7.1
    Shutterspeed 1/125
    ISO 800
    Handheld, Internal flash fired(mobile torchlit for focusing)

Sorry for the Long post...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice image. Good to know you didn't give up on the search till you got a decent image of this species. Liked the eye contact and the details. The fully blown vocal sac looks nice. Thanks for sharing the details of your experience. Look forward to more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice one. This is a F. caperata if I am not mistaken... If you have a recording, we can confirm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You have the image in focus. The mobile torchlight has helped in focusing as the 550D would AF would have hunted in the low light. Your perseverance in the dark helped. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information