User Tag List

Thread: RAW vs mRAW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RAW vs mRAW

Hi,
    Many cameras today offer option of using smaller RAW files. Does this compression of RAW file in-camera improve the noise performance? (Since reducing the resolution in p.p. often reduces the noise).
    Thanks in advance...
    Regards,
    Jitendra
    Dr.Jitendra Katre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The m-RAW has a bit more of processing than the RAW files. Frankly speaking even the RAW files also have some sort of processing and noise reduction. The processing of m-RAW files with respect to noise has to be seen in individual cameras. Generally there shouldn't be much difference. When we are resizing images during post processing there are built in default noise reductions, so the files appear to have less noise.

I never use the mRAW. It was introduced for faster turnaround times, especially for sports shooters. If you want to get the greatest amount of data captured then shoot RAW. When we process/down size/convert to jpeg we throw away data ie details and along with it the noise processing is done. Best to shoot in RAW. If the shot is great, may be later when the noise reduction software becomes more advanced, you can reprocess the image and get better results. However all this is for images which are really good and needs to be stored for future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Sabyasachi, I knew that you would know the answer. I have done some experimentation in this regard and I have noticed what you said is right. Thank you for your help.
    Regards,
    Jitendra

Thread Information