PDA

View Full Version : Exploring With Mom....Nilgiri Tahrs

V S Sankar
28-06-2012, 09:04 PM
This young Tahr from Eravikulam NP wants to see whats her habitat is all about.....

Canon 400D,55-250IS,ISO400,1/400,f6.1,ev metering

Regards

Mrudul Godbole
28-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice sighting. The details on the mother are nice. What was the focal length? Some more space at the bottom and on the right would enhance the composition further. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
28-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Nice close up.Fine details.
The young Nilgiri Thar is exploring Eravikulam N.P. but only after our Sankar Bhai has done so !
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

V S Sankar
29-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the comments Mrudulji and Saktiji....

The focal length was 250....

Saktiji I would have loved to explore the park with one of the Tahrs but the forest department wouldn't allow me to go beyond a certain limit!The high mountains and the precarious rocks are only for the Tahrs.....

Regards

Roopak Gangadharan
29-06-2012, 01:09 PM
nice one shankar sab... mother has come out well. did u make try a wider compo? a narrow app to cover the kid wud been nice.
TFS
Roopak

Mohammed Raheel
29-06-2012, 03:04 PM
As a novice photographer, I would like to know what causes difference of focus on 2 subjects so close to each other?
Also, how do we ensure both are equally sharp, though they mey be standing at a gap of a few feet to each other?
Thanks.

V S Sankar
29-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Mohammed there are 2 buttons a photographer often uses.They are the shutter speed and aperrture.Shutter speed dicides the arrenst of movement in the frame.If you try to photograph a waterfall with a shutter speed of,say,1/30 sec,the waterfall will appear as flowing mist.With a speedier shutter speed of,say,1/250 sec you would get what you really see fo the waterfall.
Aperture decides the "depth of field".In this pic I have used a wider aperture of 6.1,by which you get a pic with only the point of focus in sharpness(Here the mom).If I had used a aperture of,say f22,I would have got both the tahrs in sharpness.

There are so many articles on the internet which you can read to get a better understanding.

Regards

Sabyasachi Patra
01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Mohammed,
You need not go farther to understand about depth of field. Just check the tips section. I am attaching the article on depth of field: Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081)

Depth of field is dependent on aperture, focal length and also distance of the subject. The depth of field increases if the subject distance increases. Assuming this mother and child to be closer to the photographer, the depth of field would be less. So a narrow aperture has to be used. So an aperture of f9 would have been helpful here but it would have reduced the shutter speed by half.

Sankar,
Good to see that you got both the mother and child. Including the hind part of the mom and legs of the calf would have strengthened the image. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi