PDA

View Full Version : Tahr Heads........Eravikulam NP

V S Sankar
30-06-2012, 07:07 PM
These 2 Male Nilgiri Tahrs behaved as if the park belonged onlyto them.They seemed like heads of their clan........(Sabyaji enquired about a vertical with only the heads of the male tahrs.This is the closest I could get)

Canon 400d,55-250is,iso1600,1/500,11,ev metering

Regards

Sabyasachi Patra
01-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Good to see this. A narrow aperture would have been good. However, I am not sure if you could have gone further narrow as you were already in ISO 1600. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Nice presentation.
How many things,in my view, we have learnt or got verified through your pictorial diary:
(a)Eravikulam,declared as a N.P in 1978 to protect Nilgiri Thar still remains as a success story.
(b)The horns curve backwards and are wrinkled in a transverse fashion.
(c)Adult male has a grizzled saddled patch on its back.[I have learnt from your photograh]
(d)Eyes are so emotional and touching.
(e)Male,Female and young have been observed testifying to growth.
(f)They appear to have lost fear of human beings.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

V S Sankar
02-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Wonderful observation Saktiji.Incredible findings which I havn't noticed!.

The Tahrs are more amicable and wouldn't hesitate to come near humans.Sabyaji was talking about "salt" study on an earlier post.(I have also heared about that).A news item appeared on The Hindu dated 1.7.2012,stating that Tahrs have been found where they were least expected.Good news?I dont know.I have read that elephants need migratory routes to survive for long.From the looks of Eravikulam NP the Tahrs are enclosed;fortunately in a large region......

Rgards

Roopak Gangadharan
02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Nice compo shankar sab. Monsoon is the time to catch the males and females togather with the start of the rut...

TFS
Roopak

Suraj Sreedhar
10-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Lovely image,nice that u got both in the same frame.
TFS