PDA

View Full Version : How do we protect our gear?

Kumaran Narayanaswamy
03-07-2012, 12:24 AM
During the journey in Photography depending upon the genre we are in... we invest quite a lot to purchase various gears . How do we protect this over a period of time against theft/damage and any other risks? Does Indian Insurance market has any specific products to take care of this...

Can any one please share your experience on this? Thanks

Cheers
Kumaran

Sabyasachi Patra
18-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I agree that we invest a lot in equipment and we need to take care of it. I am not aware of any specific products for insurance that targets photographers. You can check for details about how to protect our camera equipment in this post:
How to protect your Camera Equipment (http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/how-to-protect-your-camera-equipment/)

Kumaran Narayanaswamy
18-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Yes I read that post and you have given all of us some great inputs on protecting our gear.... I also checked with couple of insurance agents and they mentioned to me in United India Insurance there is a product called All Risk Cover and under that we can insure the camera along with your lens (the expensive one... from your lens collection) together.. .Lenses separately we cannot insure ... so pick up the costliest lens from the gear and insure that along with your body... this is what the agents told me...this also covers when you travel abroad...

There are also similar kind of products with private players also....

Sabyasachi Patra
04-08-2012, 12:01 PM
The challenge is I have individual items costing each 5000 or 7000 USD. The 400 f2.8 L IS USM lens when I had bought was 7000+ USD. The fluid head is 7000 USD. Tripod is 3k USD. One sound recorder SD 702T is 2675 USD. Insuring one is not simply not enough. The schemes are not tailor made for us. Most of the times the invoices are just emailed from US. There are issues. Wish we had an insurance company guy amongst us. :)

Kumaran Narayanaswamy
13-08-2012, 07:18 AM
I have heard that bajaj allianz provides some custom made product to suit our needs. I have got an agents number, I will speak to them and check if that will suit our needs