PDA

View Full Version : 7 D firmware upgrade?

Jitendra Katre
03-07-2012, 07:47 AM
could this be true?
Canon U.S.A. : EOS 7D Firmware Upgrade Comparison (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware_compare)

Atul Sinai
13-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Looks like there is going to be firmware upgrade for canon 7d. It is scheduled to be released in August. Not sure how many new features will work as expected. We'll have to wait and watch for the release.

Atul Sinai
07-08-2012, 08:15 PM
EOS 7D Firmware Version 2.0 Download link
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d/#DriversAndSoftware

Please go through the instructions mentioned in pdf '7d-firmwareupdate-en' before upgrade. This pdf will be downloaded along with firmware.

Jitendra Katre
07-08-2012, 08:32 PM
thanks Atul..

Atul Sinai
08-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Guys, please hold on 7d firmware upgrade. I have upgraded mine. Upgrade was successful. Features are good. Haven't tested all yet. However I found one big drawback.

Maximum Burst Rate for Continuous Shooting was supposed to increase from 15 to 25, but that not happen. Instead it has reduced to 3 for RAW and 4 for JPEG. I had called customer support in Mumbai, seems like the technical staff there is not much aware about Canon 7d firmware upgrade.

Yet to figure out what needs to be done. Will keep you guys updated.

Jitendra Katre
08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
thanks Atul for warning in advance. maybe because this update is for US....see if it is possible to revert back to original firmware with help of canon service..

Atul Sinai
08-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, should be able to revert back.

Was testing the new features, all new features are working as expected except the burst rate. Other that this, i am enjoying the new firmware features. Need to test the manual sound recording feature. Will update on that soon.

Anand Madabhushi
11-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Patraji advised me to look up this link when I informed of my upgrading the firmware. This was my response to Patraji.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Patraji

I set my camera as follows:

50mm lens
In P mode
ISO 100
Standard PS
High speed continuous
Scandisk 16GB extreme 60mb/s card.

Kept the shutter pressed.

In RAW I got at least 30 shots before the shutter slowed down. I repeated this three times.

Changed the quality to Jpeg L and got 130 shots.

The only hitch I noticed is that in the display in camera the max burst is indicated as 3 in RAW and 4 in Jpeg.

Page 59 of the manual says that max burst during continuous shooting are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard PS using a 4GB card) and vary depending on Subject, card brand, ISO speed, PS, custom functions etc.

Regards
Anand

Yeah, should be able to revert back.

Was testing the new features, all new features are working as expected except the burst rate. Other that this, i am enjoying the new firmware features. Need to test the manual sound recording feature. Will update on that soon.

Anand Madabhushi
11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Mr Jitendra posted a link to compare 2.0.X with 1.2.5 (in my case as I upgraded to this soon after the purchase in Feb 2012).

In this comparison riders have been given by Canon for the maximum burst rate.

I am looking forward to a reply from Editor of the EOS Magazine for the glitch in burst rate indicator in the camera as experienced by Mr Atul and myself.

Guys, please hold on 7d firmware upgrade. I have upgraded mine. Upgrade was successful. Features are good. Haven't tested all yet. However I found one big drawback.

Maximum Burst Rate for Continuous Shooting was supposed to increase from 15 to 25, but that not happen. Instead it has reduced to 3 for RAW and 4 for JPEG. I had called customer support in Mumbai, seems like the technical staff there is not much aware about Canon 7d firmware upgrade.

Yet to figure out what needs to be done. Will keep you guys updated.

Anand Madabhushi
13-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Dear Atul and friends

This is what I did this morning. I spoke to Mr Santosh of Canon Service Bangalore. I explained the issue. He said he would get back to me in a couple of days. Instead he called me back in less than 15 minutes.

I am in Hyderabad. Mr Santosh had his 7D with the latest firmware. He said he sees 23 in RAW and 99 in Jpeg in the max burst display in the camera with a 4GB Scandisk CF card.

I fitted in my camera with 4GB non-UDMA CF card. Set to P, ISO100, Standard PS and told him that I see 3 and 4 as maximum burst in RAW and Jpeg respectively. But I got 130 Jpeg and 27 RAW shots.

I changed the CF card to 16GB Scandisk UDMA and got the same display of 3 in RAW and 4 in Jpeg in the camera display. I got 27RAW and >130Jpeg shots.

He asked me to clear all custom functions and reset the camera settings. On doing so, the camera was displaying 23 as max bursts in RAW and 99 (maximum of the two digit display) as max bursts in Jpeg. I got the improved maximum bursts.

Page 59 clearly states that the maximum bursts are subject to Canon test conditions including the custom functions.

Mr Santosh was kind enough to go through this exercise with his 7D simultaneously.

Hope this answers the issue.

Regards

Anand

Anand Madabhushi
14-08-2012, 05:24 AM
My mail to the Editor, EOS Magazine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The maximum bursts are displayed correctly after the custom functions set by me have been cleared. Similarly I had to reset the camera functions. Would any of your experienced technicians be able to check at what stage of customising the functions/camera the glitch would recur?

Response of the Editor, EOS Magazine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll take a look later this week, but there are so many different functions and features which can be set. I have not yet heard of anyone else with the same problem, so it might have been a specific combination of settings on the camera which gave the error.

Anand Madabhushi
14-08-2012, 05:29 AM
I mailed the solution suggested by Canon Service to the Editor, EOS Magazine. The response was as follows:

Many thanks for your feedback.

I will publish this information in the next issue of EOS magazine.

Regards.

Robert Scott
Editor

Dear Atul and friends

This is what I did this morning. I spoke to Mr Santosh of Canon Service Bangalore. I explained the issue...................
Regards

Anand

Anand Madabhushi
14-08-2012, 05:36 PM
I reset all the camera and custom function settings. The maximum burst indicator showed 23 in RAW and 99 (maximum of two digit display) in Jpeg.
I got 30 RAW and 204 Jpeg images at the same subject in more or less the same lighting conditions.

Regards

Anand

Atul Sinai
15-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks Anand.

Had cleared camera settings before but the burst in raw mode showed 3 and in jpeg mode showed 4.

After I cleared the custom functions now I see 23 burst in Raw and 92 in jpeg.

Tested and it worked fine. Getting the displayed burst now. Firmware upgrade works fine with no issues.

Anand Madabhushi
16-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Yesterday I offered to upgrade the firmware on 7D of a student of photography. The upgrade was successful with NO hitches (even the ones that I/Atul had faced). This may be due to the guy NOT setting any camera or customs functions before.