PDA

View Full Version : Is reintroduction a success in Sariska

Subhajit Chaudhuri
09-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Just stumbled upon the news , a good news in waiting (http://www.dailypioneer.com/nation/79140-sariska-reserve-on-verge-of-confirming-arrival-of-tiger-cubs.html). Ever since I saw the documentary "Tiger dynasty" I was eagerly looking for an update of the situation. Now the report says tigress called "ST-2" ( do not have any idea of this nomenclature ) may now be a mother of cubs. I could not relate whether that's "baghani" or not. Can any member update on the whole situation , from the point where the documentary ended? Pardon me if I 'am asking too much. I looked into the news section of tigernet.nic.in but it did not yield much.

Sabyasachi Patra
09-07-2012, 04:44 PM
The reintroduction program has been carried out in a ham handed manner. There was lack of planning. In the first attempt they airlifted siblings (bother and sister) to sariska from ranthambhore. The logic, expressed in private, was that the scientists in the field had no control over when the helicopter will reach ranthambhore. So they went and tranquilised the adolescents readily visible in the tourism zone.

One of the relocated tigers was poisoned by villagers in sariska. This was a resounding slap on people who thought resolving the intrinsic issues of Sariska like relocation of villages within the park need not be resolved before reintroducing tigers in sariska. The number of personnel guarding the tigers in sariska after reintroduction was amazing. One never finds even one percent of that many guards in other forests. Despite that one tiger was poisoned by villagers. The reintroduction of tigers can never be a success by undertaking piecemeal solutions.

The Rajasthan Government is yet to take creditable actions to stop mining. Unless mining is completely stopped, the forests will be gone.

When Rajesh Pilot was alive, he was even ok to the idea of recreating the corridor between Sariska and Ranthambhore. It is to be noted that his constituency dausa falls in that corridor. However, he was above that narrow politics and had a greater vision. Unfortunately, he passed away and there is no leader worth the salt to go against populist pressures and industrial lobbies.

We may rejoice in the birth of tiger cubs. However, we should keep this in mind that this is just too artificial and is not sustainable. The issues afflicting Sariska remains.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi
PS: I detest the idea of naming animals, whether for purpose of scientific pursuit or pleasure.