PDA

View Full Version : Brown Grasshopper caught in the act

Atul Sinai
05-08-2012, 08:43 PM
This image is from the nearby grassland. Wanted to test 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Rented the lens for a day and ventured out.

After spending some time out there, I found this little fellow engaged.

Big crop here to avoid out of focus grass blade.

Abhishek, would need your help for the ID.

Please critique !

Canon 7D. 100mm f/2.8 L macro
Manual Exposure
Auto Focus
Manual metering
Shutter Speed 1/125
Aperture 9.0
ISO 500
Focal Length 100mm
Cropped by 47%
Handheld

Thanks!

Regards,
Atul

Atul Sinai
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Here is another image. I went closer. This is cropped by 17%.

Mrudul Godbole
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
The details are nice. The first image looks better as the out of focus grass blade is not present. But I think the details are better in the second one. Wish the grass blade was not present. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Nice find. Sharp enough, and f9 has helped. Not sure of the ID beyond what you have already mentioned. This is a nymph (juvenile), as you can see the wings have not developed and are still little buds.
You seem to be catching a lot of creatures in the Act. :D
Please post the images in separate threads with their EXIFs for better critiquing.

Atul Sinai
06-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks Mrudul and Abhishek.

Yeah Abhishek, I got one more grass hopper doing the same thing at a different location. Will post that soon. One of the reasons why I posted this on the same thread was that I wanted a comparative perspective. Also the viewers would get to see both the shots under one thread. Agree with you about posting separate threads with their EXIFs for better critiquing.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
We don't often see these small creatures releasing excreta from their bodies. So I am sure both the images will be of interest from a natural history point of view. The length of the excreta with respect to the body length seems to be longer. However, I have no idea about this macro world. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi