PDA

View Full Version : Nilgiri Flycatcher/Ooty#1

Praveen Siddannavar
06-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I shot this beautiful flycatcher at Ooty on the weekend, the weather wasn't great as the light was playing, however I was fortunate enough to make few decent images of this beauty.

Camera Used - Canon 1D Mark IV with Canon 500mm lens + 1.4x TV
EXIF - ISO 800 Av 4 Tv 1/800 sec, focal Length 700mm, Cropped
Date : 4th August 2012 10:47am

The Nilgiri Flycatcher (Eumyias albicaudatus) is an Old World flycatcher with a very restricted range in the hills of southern India. It was formerly referred to as the Nilgiri Verditer Flycatcher because of its similarity to the Verditer Flycatcher, a winter migrant to the Nilgiris, which however has distinct dark lores and a lighter shade of blue. There are two small white patches at the base of the tail. It is found mainly in the higher altitude shola forests of the Western Ghats and the Nilgiris.

This species is found in the higher hills (mostly above 1200 m) of the Nilgiris, Palnis, Anamalai ranges, the Brahmagiris, Bababudan and Biligirrangan hills.

Saktipada Panigrahi
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice image.Lovely colours,nice contrast with flowers all round.Looks like Male White-bellied Blue Flycatcher(cyornis pallipes).Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Prasad Dingankar
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Lovely capture... Nice perch... its always enjoying seeing birds on natural perch... Thanks for sharing.

One technical difficulty here for me, with 1.4 TC do the original aperture changes?

Praveen Siddannavar
06-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Saktipada ji this is definately a male but Nilgiri flycatcher, i checked it again.

Prasad my aperture of 500mm is f4 it will change to f5.6 when I use 1.4x TC and in your case for f 5.6 400mm lens it will be f8. I am not sure if you can use tc for 400mm as it will not auto focus. Please check

Mrudul Godbole
06-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Nice perch. The flowers add to the composition. There seems to be lot of noise in the background. How big is this crop? Did you do any sharpening after the crop? How is the birding in Ooty now?

Prasad, 400mm f5.6 + 1.4x will be 560mm f8. So you will be able to use only centre point focussing with Mark IV. F8 would be not very useful in low light.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Beautiful bird. Nice eye contact. This seems to be a large crop. For small birds, no amount of focal length is enough.

I agree with the previous comments. Only with the 1 series cameras (excluding 1D X) you can autofocus at f8 using the central AF point.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
07-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Thank you all for the comments, agree about the noise as this is a large crop.

Mrudul - Birding in Ooty is dull just now, winter will be better

Murugan Anantharaman
07-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Lovely mix of colors in this image Praveen. The blue shades of the bird go well with the flowers.Agree about the noise. I havent found a single happy soul who's in terms with his/her focal length during bird photography :). Thanks for sharing.