PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Dove-Male

Roopak Gangadharan
06-08-2012, 10:48 PM
When the monsoons go berserk in July there is a bird which welcomes the explosion of the greens all around with a monotonous cooing sound. Its own colours resonate the brilliant surroundings its prefers. With kerela getting less than 30% of its monsoon showers this season I guess the bird is into a silent protest….. I ve neither heard nor seen it even once this year. This is from last year when I got to observe three breeding pairs in around my village in North Kerala quite regularly.

500D, 55-250, 250mm, AE, f5.6, ISO 800 SS 1/50. Cropped image.

Rgds
Roopak

Praveen Siddannavar
07-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Lovely bird and the male is even more beautiful
tfs

Saktipada Panigrahi
07-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Nice composition.Nice Eye contact.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Lovely eye contact. A very colourful bird. I liked the composition with the dove at the left of the frame. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

Prasad Dingankar
07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Lovely Image.. Nice eye contact. Really the monsoon pausity will cause hardships to the bird life this year. I am seeing the signs aleady, The place which was full of birds like painted storks, spoonbills, Ibis and may small birds, same time last year, is almost empty this year. Still praying for rain god to come down....

Murugan Anantharaman
07-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Well I guess we have ourselves to blame. Every year the summer gets hotter, winters colder and monsoons shorter. The eco system is up for a major change soon at this rate. Reminds me of the movie 'Day after Tomorrow'. One fine day it'll be snowing in kerala too :(.

The image of the bird looks nice Roopak.I am bored of seeing rock pigeons in and around my place, so this is a welcome change to that. Hope they survive. Thanks for sharing.

Saajan Jogia
07-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Looks like its got great colours, I've never seen one of this yet. Thanks for the info on its behaviour. I pity these birds as they have to suffer so much because of humans. Frankly speaking human activities are a liability to the environment which consequently affects natural habitat.
What was the white balance set to?

Sabyasachi Patra
07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Nice one. I haven't got a nice full frame closeup of this bird yet. It would be nice to properly document the impact of monsoons vis-a-vis sightings, migrations etc. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

Sajan - WB was auto.

TFS
Roopak