PDA

View Full Version : High ISO Noise reduction vis-a-vis maximum burst

Anand Madabhushi
14-08-2012, 05:20 AM
This is a separate thread I am posting to address the possible reduction in maximum burst and is an extension to the issue raised by Atul in 7D firmware upgrade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are shooting action or sports photos using continuous shooting, activating "High ISO Noise Reduction" (Custom Function II-2 in 7D) increases the amount of processing the camera has to do and can reduce the amount of photos you can take with one burst. On cameras with DIGIC 4 processor this happens only when "High ISO Noise Reduction" is set to STRONG. You can always either reduce the"High ISO Noise Reduction" setting OR turn it off to increase the number of photos you can take in one burst.

If you are shooting RAW, you do not need to activate "High ISO Noise Reduction" as you can apply noise reduction in your RAW processor. The advantage is that you can tweak the noise reduction setting to suit a specific image.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trust this helps.

Sabyasachi Patra
29-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Agreed that High ISO noise reduction set to strong can reduce the burst speed.

Having said that, I don't like the High ISO Noise reduction function at all. It doesn't suit my style. I rarely do noise reduction beyond the default in lightroom. I value my details more than the little amount of noise that can creep in.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi