PDA

View Full Version : Brahminy Kite, TG Halli, Bangalore

AB Apana
28-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Haliastur indus. A supremely photogenic bird. It exploded right in front of me at Tippegundanahlli, Bangalore.

EOS 40D, 500f4 + 1.4x converter, ISO 400 on Aperture Priority at f11, Gitzo + Wimberley II, near full frame.

Thanks for looking, c & c welcome.

Off to Kabini tomorrow, back here on the forums on Monday.

Cheers,

Apana

Kiran Ghadge
28-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Hats off boss. the is excellent image, would love to know more details How you shot this?
were you waiting for the kite to pick up that thing? or it just happened ?

Mrudul Godbole
28-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Amazing photograph. Action perfectly captured. Loved the composition. Lovely water droplets in the air. What was the shutter speed?

Hoping you get some more great photographs in Kabini.

Harshad Barve
28-05-2009, 12:44 PM
great stuff, No nits, TFS

Harshad

Sabyasachi Patra
28-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Apana,
That's great stuff. Watching this scene is mind blowing. Capturing it is a real bonus. Clicking it at the right moment with the fish is superb. Most of the times we see them moving away from us. So catching a fish infront of us and that too at eye level is a great plus.

All the best for your Kabini trip.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

GSR Reddy
28-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Apana,

What a wonderful image. very sharp and the details are amazing, i am learning so much from this forum, thanks a lot.

Ramesh

AB Apana
28-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Mrudul, about 1/2000 of a second.

Kiran, I was not waiting for this bird to fish, but Brahminy's do have a propensity to repeatedly hit the water. As Sabyasachi said, we usually see them moving away. This happened just in front of me, which brings me to my adage that the number of good images is directly proportional to time spent in the field.

Apana

Mital Patel
28-05-2009, 11:01 PM
apana this is a dream shot of mine.

After reading all the details you wrote i think you could have achieve better speed. using f11 is what i had not been choosen.

The reason i am saying is if i choose f8 it would have been a good aperture to get more freeze of the wings and fish and the water blast. also you could have capture 2 more frames in burst mode with nice details.

just think on this and i would like sabyasachi and other senior members to post their feedback on this technical change i m suggesting.

catch light is just awesome and if this is really a full frame with f8 you could have better DOF which could give more prominent to the Kite.

I might be wrong but so far i am concluded to this points.
Please feel free to discuss.

AB Apana
29-05-2009, 05:06 AM
Hi Mital,

I was photographing egrets at f11 when this happened. It was a moment and I managed to swing the lens in time.

Apana

Mital Patel
29-05-2009, 09:33 AM
i can understand that apana,
i was just planning to write this line

Wildlife photography can not be pre-planned it came by accident always.

but than i thought it would be wise to write later as to have to wait for your correct explanation about the shot took in situations.

this is an excellent shot any ways ..