PDA

View Full Version : Black Lored Tit

Arup Banerji
24-08-2012, 10:04 AM
In Madgaon city !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murugan Anantharaman
24-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Thats a very nice and close image Arupji. How did you click it, were you near the bird or do you use a long lens? Please share the exif and equipment details for us to understand better. I always thought Goa is famous for beer and beaches only, now i'll add birds also to it :). Thanks for sharing.

Arup Banerji
24-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Lol............... Goa is a great birding paradise. You need to know where to go. Explore and you'll find the nuggets !!!!!!!!!!! :) See my page 'Birding in Goa' on Fb.
Equipment: Canon D1100. Lens EF S 50-250mm.
The bird was sitting on a Ber or a Bora tree (Jujube Tree family), which is right outside our bedroom balcony. So I was shooting it from about roughly 8 feet away.

Mrudul Godbole
24-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Cute bird. Nice eye contact. There seems to be some noise in the background. What was the ISO and shutter speed? Look forward to more from Goa. Thanks for sharing.

Arup Banerji
24-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Mrudul, this was July sometime. Can't remember details honestly. The bird almost performed for me. I shot about 20 frames and chose 6 or 7 from those. This is on a Bora or Ber (Jujube family) tree almost touching our balcony.

Sabyasachi Patra
24-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Nice bird. I like the eye contact. A wider composition (less crop) with more space on the left and top would have strengthened the image. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Arup Banerji
24-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I am of the old school of birding and photography, Sabhyasachi. Learnt at the feet of the likes of Usha Ganguli and Dr. Salim Ali. The fuller the frame the better the picture.

Sabyasachi Patra
25-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Dada,
I guess my comment was misunderstood.

Not many of us are fortunate to learn from the feet of Dr. Salim Ali. I am sure many here will agree that you are blessed.

From a birder's perspective, it is important that the subject occupies the entire frame so that identification is easier. In those days when publishing a photo in the books was not so easy, the artists impressions/sketches used to be part of the books. I have grown up reading Salim Ali's books. :) So your image will serve well for identification. May be we should start an identification section with these images.

Photography as an art form has developed much later than painting and has adopted some of the best practices from painting such as the Rule of Thirds. Placing the main body part of the subject in one of the power points of the rule of thirds ensures more strength to the composition. From that perspective, providing more space at the top would have ensured greater separation between the head and the top frame as well as ensuring that the head/eye is on the rule of thirds. The rule of thirds would also require more space on the left of the frame.

Photographically the other aspect of a wider composition is when we see the habitat well. I hope I am able to clarify my point better.

Since you have a fruit bearing tree close to your balcony, I am sure there will be many more beautiful visitors. In Delhi, I don't have such a luxury. :( Hope to see many more images of beautiful winged visitors to your balcony.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi