PDA

View Full Version : Sri Lankan Frogmouth

Kartik Bhat
27-08-2012, 08:44 PM
After waiting for two days in heavy rain at pitch dark I first spotted this elusive bird on 25th. At 5.50pm I heard the first call. It was great and I was extremely happy to spot this bird. I and the pair of frogmouth were alone in that dark jungle of Durga, what a feeling it was wooow!!. At around 6.50 I was able to spot them, but bad light and heavy rain made it impossible for me to get a good click. I made a mistake of going alone and not carrying a torch with me. When you want to click them please have a good torch handy. I waited in the Durga forest till 8.30 waiting for rain to subside. At last I gave my hope and returned back.
On 26th I went with my buddy Amith Kamath and Shiva sir. Amith helped with the torch and helped us click. Thanks Shiva sir and Amith for coming yesterday

Exif
Canon 550D Sigma 150-500
f 6.3 @ 1/100s ISO 3200

Mrudul Godbole
27-08-2012, 10:31 PM
The front angle gives an idea of the big eyes. Did you try a vertical composition here? Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Kartik Bhat
27-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Yes I did. This bird gives you lot of time to click!!!

Jitendra Katre
28-08-2012, 07:13 AM
nice one..

Sabyasachi Patra
28-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Good to see a clear image of this bird. The feather infront of the eye stands like a horn. :) Thanks for sharing.

Kaustuv Chatterjee
29-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Wow...what an incredible looking specimen...must be quite a rare sighting. A great snap too given the conditions. Never knew about this bird till today, thanks for sharing and your patience and perseverance in getting the shot, well done

Murugan Anantharaman
03-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Lovely frontal image of the bird Kartik. It looks as if its wearing an armour and its mouth reminds me of some africal tribals who embed wooden plates on their lips to make themselves look more attractive :). You passion for clicking this bird in trying situations has paid off. Thanks for sharing.