PDA

View Full Version : Tadpole Congregation

Abhishek Jamalabad
01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
This was clicked in Matheran in July. Found these in a roadside puddle. The puddle had hundreds of tadpoles, all were looking to cling on to any available objects including twigs, stones, dead leaves etc. This image shows one group of them clinging to a piece of wood.
The tadpole stage of amphibians serves as a quick recap of their evolution - clear evidence of their relation to their immediate ancestors, the fishes.
Need help identifying the species if possible.

Canon 500D, 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/200
Av 16
ISO 400
Flash fired
Cropped for a wide composition

Thanks C&C welcome.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Interesting image. I remember watching them with lot of interest when I was a kid. The tails help them in swimming.

Joshi Bhavya
03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Nice observe... It is Difficult to Identify tadpole...one can know from books.. or take help from experts.. TFS..

Mrudul Godbole
03-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Nice observation. A very interesting behavior documented. The muddy water gives a different look to the image. So many tadpoles in a road side puddle? What are their chances of survival? Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
03-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Mrudul,
The main predators in a puddle like this would be predaceous insects (diving beetles, dragonfly nymphs etc.) none of which I found in this puddle. Not sure though whether the puddle would have a carrying capacity sufficient for so many tadpoles (the group photographed is only a fraction of the total population).

Atul Sinai
04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Wonderful documentation Abhishek, thanks for sharing.

Murugan Anantharaman
05-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Nice image and story Abhishek. I'm sure there must be some way in which they, if not all some of them for sure will survive. I guess the answer should be on the same lines as to how they managed to come into the puddle.