Canon 50D
28-300 IS USM
SS 1/125
Aperture 9
ISO 1600
Shot at Kabini

Kiran Ghadge
29-05-2009, 12:48 PM
thats lovely one....I personally would have reduced the aperture to get more shutter speed.

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Good that you were able to photograph this active little bird. I agree that higher shutter speed was required. Also I feel the image is a bit too bright, so I've edited and posted my version. Please tell me how it looks. Additional info : this is a SCALY BELLIED GREEN WOODPECKER

Mrudul Godbole
29-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi,

Nice photograph.Agree with Kiran about the aperture. The repost by Abshishek surely enhanced the image further.
You could have possibly used a lower ISO.

GSR Reddy
30-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Good that you were able to photograph this active little bird. I agree that higher shutter speed was required. Also I feel the image is a bit too bright, so I've edited and posted my version. Please tell me how it looks. Additional info : this is a SCALY BELLIED GREEN WOODPECKER

Thanks Abhishek, the corrected image looks better, will note about shutter speed.

Ramesh

Sabyasachi Patra
30-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Ramesh,
This image is tough to pull off. You have the tree trunk in the foreground.You needed more depth of field to cover the tree trunk as well as the woodpecker. So f9 helps in giving a higher depth of field. However that reduces your shutter speed even though you were using ISO 1600.

f5.6 would have given you a higher shutter speed and would have helped in terms of sharpness. Most of the smaller birds move fast and need a higher shutter speed to capture their movements.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
30-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Sabyasachi, while you're at it, could you give some tips about how aperture changes depth of field? (If this question is not meant for this thread, please say so, and I'll start a new one in the discussion forum)

AB Apana
01-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi Reddy,

I think the camera has focused on the trunk. In such a situation you need to focus manually or select an appropriate focusing point.

Apana