PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Sunbird (Male)

Praveen Siddannavar
05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
I shot this bird at Club Mahindra's Binsar Valley Resort, Uttaranchal. The Crimson Sunbird is the national bird of Singapore. This is a species of bird in the sunbird family which feed largely on nectar, although they will also take insects, especially when feeding young. Flight is fast and direct on their short wings. Most species can take nectar by hovering like a hummingbird, but usually perch to feed most of the time. The adult male has a crimson breast and maroon back. The rump is yellow and the belly is olive. The female has an olive-green back, yellowish breast and white tips to the outer tail feathers.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV Canon 100-400mm lens
EXIF - ISO 800 Av 5.6 Tv 1/250 sec EC + 0.7, Cropped

Sabyasachi Patra
05-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Nice bird. I like the pose and eye contact. The red looks a bit over saturated. The top left out of focus portion attracts attention. There is lot of noise in the background. Is this a large crop? I had been to binsar long back, much before all these private resorts came up. Not sure how crowded that place is now. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
05-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Cute bird. Nice colours and perch and eye contact. Thanks for sharing.

Murugan Anantharaman
05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Nice image and detailed explanation of the bird Praveen. Uttaranchal always offers so much in terms of birding,landscape, people and quite mountain air. Bachelor life is a bliss, when I was much younger and single I once spent 3 months at a stretch in Uttranchal, those were the days :).

Agree about the reds being a bit on the brighter side. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
06-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Wonderful image of a rare bird. Nice colours, fine details. Colourful birds live with colourful people.Thanks for sharing.
SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
06-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Colourful bird.Nice eye contact and pose praveen.

TFS
Roopak