PDA

View Full Version : Common Langur

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Shot at Matheran, Maharashtra
This photo reminds me of Emperor Akbar sitting in his balcony in the Diwan-i-Aam of Red Fort!
Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
Shooting Mode Auto
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/160
Av (Aperture Value) 5.7
ISO Speed 500
Please comment and thanks for looking.

Sabyasachi Patra
29-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Abhishek,
The composition is good. The V shaped branch frames the face nicely. Tough lighting conditions as you had aimed your camera upwards and the sky is included. Is it a cropped image? There are some loss of details. I wont use higher ISOs in the compact cameras as their ability to handle noise is much lower than the DSLRs.

Never seen Akbar. :D But nevertheless it appears to be a royal pose.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Sabyasachi, this isn't a cropped image, it is full frame. But a lot of detail has been lost after compressing and resizing. Could this be a problem with my software? It is photoshop 7.0 . Also, I don't know much about ISO setting except that the image appears brighter or darker with ISO change. I dont know which ISO levels can alter the quality of the photograph and how, in compact cameras. Please help. Thanks so much for the comments.

Bibhav Behera
30-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Sabyasachi, this isn't a cropped image, it is full frame. But a lot of detail has been lost after compressing and resizing. Could this be a problem with my software? It is photoshop 7.0 . Also, I don't know much about ISO setting except that the image appears brighter or darker with ISO change. I dont know which ISO levels can alter the quality of the photograph and how, in compact cameras. Please help. Thanks so much for the comments.
Hi Abhishek,

When you are processing an image, first make the adjustments on the full JPEG/RAW and then reduce the size to larger side = 800 pixels. Then do sharpening if required. While saving set quality to the level where the size of the file is less than 200 kb. That should work. If the size is greater than 200kb the site does auto resizing and the image loses quality.
About the ISO: ISO basically is the sensitivity of the sensor to light. A lower ISO would be less sensitive to light and hence should be used when you have adequate light. However when you pump up the ISO, the signal gain is increased which leads to increased noise levels in the image. However you are able to capture photos where light is lower since the intensity of the signal is amplified. So rule of thumb would be to keep the ISO as low as possible to avoid noise unless the lighting truly demands it. Also in compact cameras due to the small sensor size and lower noise handling capabilities, the noise can be pretty visible at ISO levels around 200 or so... I wouldnt tweak too much with the ISO in case of a compact camera, rather i'd try a proper combo of the aperture and shutter speed.

Hope this was of help to you... Do post your queries anytime.

Abhishek Jamalabad
30-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks a lot Bibhav , that really was helpful. You've given me info that I had no idea about.

AB Apana
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Abhishek, one tip: shotting into the sky with a backlit subject always causes problems.

Apana