PDA

View Full Version : 7D firmware upgrade (new)

Anand Madabhushi
13-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Since upgrading my 7D firmware to 2.0.0 in August 2012, I was keenly following the feed back on the forums. A few have experienced freezing related issues. Canon has released firmware 2.0.3. I have upgraded just a few minutes back. Will look into the areas later as we will lose power at 6am for about 90 minutes. Will comeback. Have a good day. :)

Anand Madabhushi
13-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Since upgrading my 7D firmware to 2.0.0 in August 2012, I was keenly following the feed back on the forums. A few have experienced freezing related issues. Canon has released firmware 2.0.3. I have upgraded just a few minutes back. Will look into the areas later as we will lose power at 6am for about 90 minutes. Will comeback. Have a good day. :)

Does this mean that even with High ISO noise reduction set to HIGH, the maximum bursts not only will be displayed correctly in the VF but also give the maximum bursts subject to Canon SOP in this regard?

Just checked this out. High ISO noise reduction C Fn II set to high (2) the number of maximum bursts is displayed as 3 in RAW and 4 in Jpeg. Did not have the heart to check out the actual bursts in an experiment and increase my already increased shutter count. :)

Sabyasachi Patra
13-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Anandji,
Please continue with your experiments and tell us. The shutter life of our SLRs are high and unless one photographs a lot everyday, we are unlikely to use even half of it.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Anand Madabhushi
13-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Patraji

I will do that. I spoke to Canon in India and I am writing to them on this issue.

Regards

Anand

Anandji,
Please continue with your experiments and tell us. The shutter life of our SLRs are high and unless one photographs a lot everyday, we are unlikely to use even half of it.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Anand Madabhushi
13-09-2012, 05:30 PM
I upgraded my 7D to 1.2.5 in February 2012 and to 2.0.0 in August 2012. Immediately after upgrading to 2.0.0. I had improved maximum bursts but the display in view finder was shown as 3 in RAW and 4 in Jpeg. A friend of mine also experienced this . Mr Santosh of Canon Bangalore suggested that I cancel all camera and CF settings. This is not a permanent solution. Then we zeroed down that the display issue can be addressed by NOT setting the High ISO noise reduction at High. When the High ISO noise reduction was set at Standard/Low/Disable, the view finder was displaying 23 in RAW and 99 (maximum of two digit) in Jpeg.

The issue is relating to display in view finder. In RAW the while the display was showing 3, I got 26 shots in 7 seconds (17.31.02 to 17.31.09) In Jpeg, while the display was showing 4, I got 155 shots in 52 seconds (17.33.43 to 17.34.35) That is 3.7 fps in RAW and 2.98 fps in Jpeg. Well below the 8 fps capabilities of the 7D. Is the reduced fps due to Low Speed Continuous?

The settings were P, ISO100, Standard PS, AWB, Evaluative Metering, AI focus, Low Speed Continuous, High ISO Noise Reduction - High with SanDisk 16GB Extreme UDMA CF card.

Setting High ISO Noise reduction may reduce the number of maximum bursts but should display the reduced number correctly in view finder. Instead, though the number displayed was 3 and 4 in RAW or Jpeg respectively, I got the increased maximum bursts with High ISO noise reduction enabled ans set to High.

I had not come across any reference to the issue of reduced display in view finder on any of the forums including dpreview.com.

I upgraded to 2.0.3 and hoped that the issue relating to display of maximum bursts when CF II 2 is set to High is addressed. Even after the new firmware (that fixed the freezing of camera not experienced by me with APO set to one minute) the display of 3 and 4 as maximum bursts is continuing and shows the correct number 23 in RAW and 99 (maximum of two digit) in Jpeg, only after the CF II 2 is set in Standard/Low/Disable.

Putting it sipmly, if CF II 2 is set to High, the maximum bursts are displayed in view finder as 3 in RAW, 4 in Jpeg and 4 in RAW + Jpeg.

Is this issue firmware related?

Anand Madabhushi
13-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Patraji, the response on one of the forums. Can you please make it simple for me?

Is the reduced fps due to Low Speed Continuous?

If you were to consult the manual you would find that the experienced shooting speed is consistent with the low speed continuous mode. The viewfinder display is correct as well because it shows the buffer depth - in low speed continuous your UDMA CF card though is almost keeping up with the required buffer, thus the experienced burst depth.

Is this issue firmware related?

No, it's related to you not reading the manual. All you did was waste your time and put unnecessary strain on your camera, thereby reducing the viable lifespan of your camera...

Anandji,

Cheers,
Sabyasachi