PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophilic moth

Kaling Dai
14-09-2012, 09:07 PM
this nocturnal moth was seen sipping water using its proboscis. it was there at the same spot for as long as i watched it, about half an hour. observed carefully the proboscis is immersed in the layer of water and a droplet of water is nicely formed at the tip of its hind. ID not known. shot with 5DIII + 100 mm with flash.

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Interesting find. In many cases, another insect acts as a commensal and feeds on the excreted fluid. Not sure whether you found any in this case... I have never seen a moth sipping water before. Was it fresh rain water or could it contain dissolved minerals or nutrients?
TFS

Mrudul Godbole
15-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Lovely details and colours. The water droplet at the hind looks really nice. Thanks for sharing this natural history behavior. Look forward to more.

Kaling Dai
16-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Interesting find. In many cases, another insect acts as a commensal and feeds on the excreted fluid. Not sure whether you found any in this case... I have never seen a moth sipping water before. Was it fresh rain water or could it contain dissolved minerals or nutrients?
TFS

the moth was sipping fresh water from makeshift water pipe made of split bamboo, normally practiced in this part. kaling.

Sabyasachi Patra
17-09-2012, 04:26 PM
What was the aperture, shutter speed and ISO?

The droplet is interesting. So much to learn about their behaviour.

Kaling Dai
17-09-2012, 09:20 PM
What was the aperture, shutter speed and ISO?

The droplet is interesting. So much to learn about their behaviour.

f/5.6, ISO 500, 1/60 & handheld.

Murugan Anantharaman
20-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Amazing Kaling. I have not educated myself much on this lovely section of natural history. Thanks for the information.