PDA

View Full Version : Polythene in elephant dung

Sabyasachi Patra
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
We don't realise the impact of polythene on wild animals. Tourists visiting wilderness areas as well as villagers residing on the outskirts of those places often throw polythene bags. Animals tend to chew and swallow these bags along with paper and other materials. I had come across this scene while trekking in masinagudi area. An elephant had swallowed this polythene and it had come out with its dung. There was dried up blood smears as well.

I was not carrying a wide angle so this is what I got.

Sabyasachi

Atul Sinai
03-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Well that's really sad. People are very careless with respect to polythene. There needs to be bit more discipline among people, sadly many just don't care.

Roopak Gangadharan
04-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Not surprising in Mudumalai / Masinagudi..... there are huge private holdings inside the reserve and most of them are converted into resorts. With the amount of casual visitors into the reserve and almost negligible monitoring of carrying and disposing of plastic waste this will become a regular sight. Most of the resorts here dump plastic and other waste in the moyar river. I've seen everything from picnicking, cooking, cattle grazing and drunken parties in prime tiger habitat in this reserve. The situation in some reserves up north is belived to be much worse. I guess it won’t be long before others join the group with the kind of pressure that the tourism lobby is exerting for having their way.

TFS
Roopak

Prasad Dingankar
08-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Its really sad. In maharashtra, Government banned use of plastic bags which can not be recycled, The ban is effective in the same way the Guthaka Ban, & Ladies Bar Ban. People are so habituated using plastic that, even they go out for vegitable or grocery the dont carry their own bags.
I personnaly stoped using Plastic which is thinner & can ot be recycled, long back. Its not about self praising, but about caring. And not to say most of the members of this group are also of same thinking.

Please stop using plastic bags......

Sabyasachi Patra
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
It is sad that we have become habituated to using polythene bags. In my childhood days, we used to carry cloth bags to the market to buy vegetables. Unfortunately that has gone out of fashion. In college days used to carry a jhola (you still find people in JNU using that). It is a kind of sling which you hang around your neck (for want of better description).

Delhi Government has also banned manufacture and sale of polythene bags. We all should make a habit of keeping a cloth bag in our vehicle, so if you need to buy something then use the bag.

Saktipada Panigrahi
09-10-2012, 10:32 PM
The elephant's food or fodder requires two and a half days ( as against one day for food taken by human beings) to normally pass through the body. Damage caused due to presence of such external substance in the stomach for long period is evidenced. Field people have to exercise the powers and other visitors have to extend support .Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild