PDA

View Full Version : Wild Dogs of Kabini

GSR Reddy
02-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Canon 50D + 28-300mm IS USM
C+C+Suggestions Welcome

Bibhav Behera
02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
This image lacks sharpness... Is it a crop?

GSR Reddy
02-06-2009, 03:50 PM
This image lacks sharpness... Is it a crop?

yes it is a crop. thanks for your comment.

AB Apana
02-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Reddy,

Can you share your workflow?

Thanks,

Apana

GSR Reddy
03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Reddy,

Can you share your workflow?

Thanks,

Apana

Apana, i just cropped the image from the Image Browser. What do u suggest i should have done to improve the image quality.

Ramesh

AB Apana
03-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi Reddy,

To begin with are you shooting RAW? The EXIF data on the image would also be helpful, namely the aperture and shutter speed.

Apana

Sabyasachi Patra
03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Ramesh,
I agree with Apana. One should shoot in RAW as that helps in preserving the highest amount of details. JPEG is a lossy compression and you are throwing away a lot of data. Processing a Jpeg file will further reduce the quality. Ofcourse, Jpeg is the primary mode of shooting for news photographers as they hardly have time to process.

Also remember, that RAW is like a digital version of our negatives. If you shoot in RAW then you can always revisit your old images and process them with your improved knowledge. Ofcourse, that means you have to store your images in RAW format.

I would suggest you to shoot in RAW and try processing those with DPP the free software that comes along with your camera. DPP is good but the interfaces are not as good as Lightroom. Also Lightroom is a complete image management software. I am suggesting DPP as that doesn't need any investment.

Our good images don't need extensive processing. I shoot in RAW and then import it into Lightroom and do a few adjustments like white balance, exposure, blackpoint, levels etc. Please confirm if you have DPP or not. Start shooting in RAW. We will help you pick up postprocessing. The main challenge is to capture the image with the right sharpness, composition etc. Processing can be learnt.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

GSR Reddy
04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Ramesh,
I agree with Apana. One should shoot in RAW as that helps in preserving the highest amount of details. JPEG is a lossy compression and you are throwing away a lot of data. Processing a Jpeg file will further reduce the quality. Ofcourse, Jpeg is the primary mode of shooting for news photographers as they hardly have time to process.

Also remember, that RAW is like a digital version of our negatives. If you shoot in RAW then you can always revisit your old images and process them with your improved knowledge. Ofcourse, that means you have to store your images in RAW format.

I would suggest you to shoot in RAW and try processing those with DPP the free software that comes along with your camera. DPP is good but the interfaces are not as good as Lightroom. Also Lightroom is a complete image management software. I am suggesting DPP as that doesn't need any investment.

Our good images don't need extensive processing. I shoot in RAW and then import it into Lightroom and do a few adjustments like white balance, exposure, blackpoint, levels etc. Please confirm if you have DPP or not. Start shooting in RAW. We will help you pick up postprocessing. The main challenge is to capture the image with the right sharpness, composition etc. Processing can be learnt.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Sabyasachi,
I have DPP, but not used it in the right prospective & am very keen to learn processing,i use White Balance on Auto mode. i will capture images in RAW as suggested by you. can u help me out the postprocessing technics.

Regards
Ramesh

Sabyasachi Patra
04-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Ramesh,
You start clicking on RAW and we will help you out in using DPP.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

GSR Reddy
05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Ramesh,
You start clicking on RAW and we will help you out in using DPP.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Doesn't post processing kill the originality of the image.

Ramesh

AB Apana
05-06-2009, 12:06 PM
No. PP is a special sauce and you need to know just how much to add.

Apana

GSR Reddy
06-06-2009, 11:13 AM
No. PP is a special sauce and you need to know just how much to add.

Apana

so we need to learn some cooking first. ha ha

Ramesh