PDA

View Full Version : Hibuscus like Flower

Murugan Anantharaman
14-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Found this flowering by the hills near Valley Park, Navi Mumbai. Resembles the hibiscus quite a bit but am not sure. With so many varieties of hibiscus wont be surprised if this is one of them. Its the puja season now and hibiscus also known as Jawa Kusum is the favourite flower of Goddess Maa Kali/Durga.

Nikon D7000, f/7.1,SS 1/640,ISO 800,fl 300mm. Cropped a bit to avoid a few other branches.

Sabyasachi Patra
15-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Nice flower. I am not sure about its name. It would have been good if you could have avoided the leaf infront of the flower. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Murugan Anantharaman
15-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Didnt have a choice Sabyasachi. I was lying down and clicking, a bit more to the left would have resulted in me cliffhanging which I dont have expertise on :D.

Mrudul Godbole
15-10-2012, 01:45 PM
The colour looks nice. Good details. A slight more space on the left than on the right would be good. I feel you could have gone for a more rectangular or vertical composition. Thanks for sharing.

Vijay Rajan
23-10-2012, 10:04 AM
+ 1 with Mrudul & Sabyasachi Ji,

It is indeed a member of the Hibiscus (Malvaceae) family & a native of India. Looks like a variant of Red Sorrel or the Indian Sorrel also known as Lal Ambari in Hindi. The red calyces of the plant are exported to the EU & U.S where they are used as food colouring. TFS.

Dr Hari Venkatesh K R
19-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Dear Murugan ji,
This must be a variant of Hibiscus sabdariffa var. rubra. The leaves are sour in taste and cooked in S. India. TFS