PDA

View Full Version : Wild Maharashtra Coffee Tabe Book!

Praveen Siddannavar
18-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Friends my image considered to be a Natural History Moment made it to “Wild Maharashtra” Coffee Table Book. I would like to thank my friends, colleagues, well-wishers and off course a big thank you to my wife Shalini and my other family members. The Sanctuary Asia team was trying to reach me for a high resolution image and I was traveling in out of coverage area. Fortunately my wife who was at home in Bangalore retrieved the image from my home PC and mailed in time to the SA team so all credit to her for this publication.

I must thank Bittu Sahgal - Editor of Sanctuary Asia, Shardul Bajikar & other team members of SA for considering this image worthy for the publication for this unique book.

On 6th October 2012, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan released pictorial coffee-table book ‘Wild Maharashtra’ showcasing vibrant heritage and culture of the State. During the launch event the Chief Minister said, “With the launch of this book we are celebrating the bio-diversity of our state. Wild Maharashtra celebrates the vibrant natural heritage and culture of the state, even as it highlights the strong linkage between the quality of human life and the health of natural Maharashtra.

Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) in association with the Maharashtra State Forest Department and Sanctuary Asia’s editorial team has put together the work of some of India’s finest photographers and writers who present Maharashtra as a universe unto itself. India’s most diverse and beautiful ecosystems and the most exotic animals including tiger can attract millions of sensitive people from around the world in the years to come.

My image is published on page 160; the image is that of an Indian Gaur, Wild Dog (Dhole) and a Cattle Egret all three in one frame. This was shot at Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve in Maharashtra State during the harsh summer earlier this year. The temperatures were soaring over 46 Degree Celsius, I spotted the Gaur near a man-made water hole, the water hole had already dried up and had very less amount of water left in it. A pack of Wild dogs too were very thirsty and landed up to the same water hole. There was big tussle between the Gaur and the pack of dogs, to make the situation even worse an Egret not thirsty though, was after the Gaur to feed on the insects that were stuck onto the Gaurs body. Finally there was a compromise; the pack of wild dogs backed off, however it was amazing to watch one wild dog to wait patiently for his turn while the gaur was quenching his thirst. Such can be the life in wild and most animals have to face this situation especially during summers.

Wild Maharashtra is a coffee-table book consisting of 180 pages and is priced at Rs. 2,950. It is available for sale online on the Sanctuary Asia website.

Prasad Dingankar
18-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Dear Praveenji,

"Hearty congrats"
Hope to see the entire book.
Cheers
Prasad

Mrudul Godbole
18-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Congrats Praveen..!! Good to know your image was selected for the coffee table book.

P.S - This section (Mammals/Wildlife Photography) is meant only for posting images for critiquing.

V S Sankar
18-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Thats one sharp image Praveenji.Good to knw that it is published in a book.Keep up the good work....

Praveen Siddannavar
18-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys for the wishes.

Mrudul can you please move it to appropriate section, I will keep this in mind from now on