PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut Shouldered Petronia

Praveen Siddannavar
20-10-2012, 08:20 PM
The Yellow-throated Sparrow or Chestnut-shouldered Petronia is a species of sparrow found in Asia. It is found in forest, gardens and open scrub habitats. I shot this on our way Nanital to Binsar in Uttaranchal.
It has a finer bill than typical sparrows and unlike them has no streaks on the plumage. The white double wing bar on the shoulder is diagnostic on the otherwise dull grey-brown sparrow. Males have a chestnut shoulder patch which can sometimes be hard to see. They also have a pale yellow spot on the throat in fresh plumage. Females are duller and lack the chestnut shoulder patch. The yellow spot is much reduced or lacking in females.
This species is tree-loving although sometimes seen on wires and on the ground, where it has a hopping gait.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 100-400mm lens
EXIF - ISO 400 Av 8 Tv 1/640 sec, Cropped

Saktipada Panigrahi
20-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Nice rare image.Thanks for well written preamble and posting of the image.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
21-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Nice perch and eye contact. Slight more space on the right would be good. Was any sharpening done? There seems to be some loss of details. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Nice to see this species. I like the accompanying text. I guess it was a large crop so there is some loss of details despite sharpening. Why not the 500mm here? Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
23-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It is slightly a large crop hence loss of details, I forgot to mention it is a record shot. I had never this species before so captured it more for documentation.

Sabyasachi - Normally when I am on travel/driving I only connect 100-400mm lens. It is easier and faster to capture something that I spot during our journey. Also Uttaranchal was more of a family trip but it is difficult to leave back cameras home:). In this case I had my 500mm but it was well packed in the bag:(