PDA

View Full Version : Marigold

Vijay Rajan
23-10-2012, 12:54 PM
This image is of Marigold (Tagetes erecta) which is among the very popular flowers commonly found in India and other countries. They can be easily cultivated, are widely adaptable to varying soils and climatic conditions and have a good flowering duration. This bushy plant with around 20 to 30 species, have a long flowering period and the colours range from orange, yellow, gold, cream to apricot. They are very much used in making garlands. It is offered to the god and Goddess on the occasion of Durga Puja.

Marigold is has been traditionally used for stomach upset, ulcers, menstrual period problems, eye infections, inflammations, and for wound healing. It is antiseptic. If the Marigold flower is rubbed on the affected part, it brings relief in pain and swelling caused by a wasp or bee. A lotion made from the flowers is most useful for sprains and wounds and a water distilled from them is good the sore eyes. The infusion of the freshly gathered flowers is beneficial in fever. Externally it is used in the treatment of alopecia. Internally it is used to treat bladder and kidney problems, blood in the urine, uterine bleeding and many more.

My apologies for the border, unable to reprocess since the original RAW file got deleted. Canon 550D, Sigma 70 - 300 mm APO DG Macro, AE, f/5.6, 1/80, Ev.M, Monopod support, Full frame, minimal PP. C & C welcome.

Sabyasachi Patra
25-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I think some more space all around would have been nice, as the leaves and buds have been cutoff.

I remember mashing its leaves and applying on my wounds when I used to fall down. Its other medicinal properties are news to me. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
25-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Nice details. The clean background adds to the image. It has so many uses, traditional as well as in medicines, I was not aware of that. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

Murugan Anantharaman
26-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Just the other day I was teaching my daughter to identify different types of flowers in a book when she insisted that carnations be called 'gendha' and not marigold :). This image reminded me of that incident :).

Its so amazing to know the various types of medicinal uses of this flower. Thanks for the information Vijay. In Tamilnadu this flower is not considered auspicious hence never offered in temples whereas in the North this is the most offered flower in temples :). Thanks for sharing.

Vijay Rajan
26-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi Ji, Mrudul Ji & Murugan.

Murugan, thanks for your comments as well. While, these flowers, considered inauspicious in Tamilnadu due to the reason that they are used in funeral ceremonies, a "Pookalam" or floral traditional decoration is incomplete without the Marigold during the Onam festival in Kerala !