PDA

View Full Version : Myna pecking Sambar's sore spot

Mrudul Godbole
23-10-2012, 11:33 PM
This is a record image. This was photographed in Kabini during the IndiaWilds meet in the evening safari. The light was very low.

At a salt lick, saw this sambar with a sore spot which was still bleeding. There were a few mynas around which were pecking at the sore spot. It was quite a sad sight to see the Mynas pecking at the wound. The shutter speed was quite low so the myna is appearing as a blur. Posted this image as it shows a rare behavior.

For details of Sambar's sore spot check this thread: http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115

Canon 50D, 100-400mm L IS USM, ISO 500, f7.1, 1/25, hand held, full frame

Comments and critiques welcome..

Sabyasachi Patra
24-10-2012, 11:49 AM
This is the first time I saw a myna pecking the sore spot of a Sambar. Unfortunately, I had a much longer lens attached and I could only get the head and not neck.

Earlier I had only seen flies around a sore spot and not myna taking a bite. In jungle, there is never a dull moment. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
24-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Rare record. Was the myna actually pecking at the flesh, or at the insects infesting it? Though they are omnivores, I guess it would be unusual for mynas to attack a wound on a live animal like this sambar. Did you capture any video footage?
TFS. A suggestion: Maybe this could be moved to the Natural History section where it could be discussed more thoroughly?

Mrudul Godbole
24-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Abhishek, there were no flies or insects around. There were 2-3 mynas who were flying around and pecking turn by turn. No we didn't take any videos. Will shift this to natural history section. Thanks.

Saktipada Panigrahi
24-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Nice rare document. The myna pecking and sambar seems to be getting relief with eyes closed, may be from itching ! So normal is the feature(sore patch), though not universal (to sambar in all forests), she has no annoyance, only consulting a doctor! Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
25-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Nice record mrudul. Agree this will be good in the natural history section. I think i did make a video . I can send that to you if it can be uploaded.

From what I ve seen they peck at the wound.Ive seen mynas do the same with the wounds on the back and body of gaur and elephants.

TFS
Roopak