PDA

View Full Version : Black Ibis with juvenile in nest

Kaustuv Chatterjee
26-10-2012, 09:40 PM
This bird has got a beautiful haunting call. Great if someone can upload its call in the new section.
Nikon D90, Nikkor 70-300mm, 260mm, ISO 200, 1/640s - F/8

Mrudul Godbole
27-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Nice image. Good eye contact. The dried leaves and branches indicate the start of winter. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
27-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice image. Three-in-one compositon: adult, juvenile and nest.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Kumaran Narayanaswamy
28-10-2012, 08:51 PM
I get confused whenever I see a nesting Photo,because in some forums they are really against posting nest photos and in some I see some appreciations when they post nesting photos...

Looking for some expert advise on this topic.... Please advise

Sabyasachi Patra
28-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Ethics in Nature Photography is hardly practiced in India. Neither do we have any specific laws, apart from some general ones.

In some countries like UK, one needs to take permission to take photographs from hides of nesting birds. In India, there are many photographers who cut off leaves or branches to get a better shot of the nesting bird and its chicks.

There are some photosharing sites and egroups that don't allow posting of nesting images. This policy is despite the photo sharing site/egroup being either anti-conservation or not actively involved in conservation (as the case may be). I can't hazard a guess about the motive. However, since many common people visit those sites, a general rule may be better. The reason being not everybody will have a long lens so that they can photograph the bird from a distance without disturbing it. In Bandipur we saw one lady got down from the JLR vehicle and ran up the bund to photograph a tigress drinking water, with a mobile phone. So such people can go and try to photograph a bird in the nest from a close distance.

In some places like Ranganathittu the birds have got used to people. However, in other places they are likely to get disturbed if you photograph with a smaller lens. So better to avoid.

I haven't created a rule to ban posting nesting images, as I believe IndiaWilds members are more mature and responsible and can understand that no photograph is worth more than the welfare of the subject. I had posted an article on this and providing the link:

http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/ethics-in-nature-photography/

We had discussed in the forum about this several times as well. However, we can always have further discussions so that new members become aware.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

I get confused whenever I see a nesting Photo,because in some forums they are really against posting nest photos and in some I see some appreciations when they post nesting photos...

Looking for some expert advise on this topic.... Please advise

Murugan Anantharaman
29-10-2012, 12:24 PM
There are many places in India where nesting birds can be photographed without disturbing them. However, a law around them would be nice for the welfare of the birds. As long as an image is created without disturbing them it should be fine. But no one really knows what has transpired in capturing an image unless the photographer comments about it. Hence in good will comments are made on nesting images, is what I feel.

I like this image since it looks like Kaustuv was a fair distance away from the nest, else the bird would have looked in his direction. Thanks for sharing.

Kaustuv Chatterjee
30-10-2012, 01:08 PM
I was about 30 ft away and yes I did not disturb it in any way. The nest was high on a tree inside the resort we were staying in at Kanha.