PDA

View Full Version : Blue-throated Barbet

Kaling Dai
29-10-2012, 10:42 AM
this bird was feeding on the papaya, very close to my bath room window. afternoon rays slanted on it as i shot with 5DIII 100-400 mm, f/5.6, 1/500, iso 100, EC + 0.3, at 400 mm, AV mode, Auto WB. full frame image. C&C welcome.

Saktipada Panigrahi
29-10-2012, 11:20 AM
It is, in my view, Coppersmith Barbet (juvenile). Nice to see it feeding on your papayas.It appears to me that the papayas are affected by the same disease from which papayas in my garden are suffering from. I am not using fungicides and left it to nature.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-10-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm guessing it's an adult Blue Throated Barbet... you need to verify. Nice shot to get from a bathroom window :).
TFS

Murugan Anantharaman
29-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Nice image Kaling, it looks like a Blue Cheeked Barbet. Nice that you can spot barbets from your bathroom :). Thanks for sharing.

Vijay Rajan
29-10-2012, 12:15 PM
It is a Blue-throated Barbet (Megalaima asiatica).

Mrudul Godbole
29-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Nice perch. The eye contact is good. Liked the inclusion of the papayas on the right. Reducing the saturation a bit would be good. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree that the saturation in this image is high. Lot of people envy you as you are able to do birdwatching from all your rooms. :)

Kaling Dai
30-10-2012, 10:00 PM
thank you all. it sounds rather ironic that i spot birds from my rooms but actuality is far from being true as every single person in this part hunts bush meat and birds & animals thus are scary. these last few survivors do visit my campus at my village home where hunting is prohibited by me. but some deep rooted social practices which i am a part of make my efforts too painful to carry forward. but i do it with a hope that some day a realization will dawn on the people to love wildlife and appreciate its priceless beauty. regarding saturation issue, the image was not post processed and shot with pic style landscape with saturation setting in minus. one observation the clarity of the image seems to be poor when uploaded, this happens in case of images taken with 5DIII. pl help. regards. kaling.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Please check the size of the 5D III images. Do they exceed 300kb? If so, the software automatically resizes the image and the quality goes down.

We ought to look into some of our rituals and traditions which were devised at an earlier time. These days, we simply cannot afford to kill wildanimals and birds for food as not many of them are there. In some of the forests of Odisha, the prey base is so thin that even if you sit in a waterhole for an entire day, the chances of sighting a deer is very less.

In our childhood days they used to say wearing a tiger nail brings good luck. To make that good luck charm a tiger is killed. If that nail can lead to the killing of the tiger than how can it be a good luck charm?