Nikon D90
Nikkor 70-300 VR
Aperture priority
F5.6
ISO 400
1/100 s with VR on
300 mm
GIMP

In Ooty, this bird is commonly found in the upper regions of Botanical garden and areas behind it like the Raj bhavan area and the Wood house.

This bird eats insects and often does mid-air acrobatic stunts to catch them. Often the bird moves its head up, down, up, down, left right, left, right in quick succession trying to spot insects...

I dont think it is a resident in Nilgiris, but should be a migrant (Can anyone pls confirm?).

Cheers,
Prem

Sabyasachi Patra
07-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Prem,
I checked the Salim Ali (12th edition). This is a Greyheaded Flycatcher Culicicapa ceylonensis. " A tiny greenish yellow flycatcher with ashy grey head, neck and breast. Bright yellow underparts. Sexes alike. Deciduous or evergreen forest, sholas, secondary and mixed bamboo forest.

Summer: Himalayas (upto 3000m), NE hill states, Bangladesh, C. India, Eastern and Western Ghats, Srilanka.

Winter: Subcontinent

I like the framing of this shot. Would have loved a higher shutter speed. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Prem Sagar
07-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi.

Yeah, I should tried to get a higher shutter speed by bumping up the ISO a bit.

Cheers,
Prem

Mrudul Godbole
07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Lovely colours. Liked the composition. Nice perch and eye contact. Sharp image.
Look forward to more..

Rakesh Dhareshwar
07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
You are doing a wonderful job with the equipment you have. Lovely image of this beautiful bird .

AB Apana
08-06-2009, 10:33 AM
It's a nice image, but seems to be a little unsharp about the eye. However since others have mentioned sharpness, it could be my monitor or my eyes!

Apana

Murugan Anantharaman
08-06-2009, 12:28 PM
nice shot...i feel the sharpness towards the eye is perfect but there is a slight blur towards its leg and claw...again as apana said it could be my eye too:D