PDA

View Full Version : Black & orange flycatcher

Prem Sagar
07-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi,

The Black and orange flycatcher is a cute bird that is endemic to the Western ghats. Quite a few of them are found in Nilgiris.

The bird is often found in thick bushes trying to capture insects.

This bird can be spotted in Kalhatty falls, Botanical garden, Wood house area, en route to Kotagiri, etc in Nilgiris.

Nikon D90
Nikkor 70-300 VR
Aperture priority
F5.6
1/60s with VR on
ISO 640
300mm

Cheers,
Prem

PS: I also have a short video of this bird taking a bath in a puddle of water in my flickr account.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Prem,
Composition is nice. Overall the image looks a bit dark. You can increase the exposure and open up the darks and shadows by going to levels.

Scientific name: Muscicapa nigrorufa

Habitat: dense evergreen sholas with ample undergrowth, edges of coffee plantations, and dank ravines. *
Distribution: Western Ghats complex from Wynaad south. *
* Salim Ali- 12th edition.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Prem Sagar
07-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi. You sure have tons of patience to go through every photo and provide your valuable feedback.. that is one main reason why I love this forum.

Your comments are extremely valuable for a beginner like me. Thanks a ton!

As for the image, yes it definitely looks better with a bit of increased exposure.

Thanks for the Salim Ali update as well.

Cheers,
Prem

Mrudul Godbole
07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Prem,

Nice photograph. The image is sharp. The BG is a bit distracting, but that is where it is found so cant change that :) . I think the black thick border you have used may also contribute to make it look a bit dark, just thinking.

Thanks for the informative details..Sabyasachi and Prem.

Keep posting..

AB Apana
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice one Prem. Checked out you site and the video as well. More please!

Apana

Murugan Anantharaman
08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
nice image...i agree that the BG looks a bit distracting...also would have loved had you got closer to the bird but we dont have choices all the time i understand...feel there is a lot of detail to the right which seems to remove the focus off the bird...just my thoughts!!!