PDA

View Full Version : Canon 100-400 dos and donts

Krishnadas N Mallya
03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi all,

Recently bought Canon 100-400 lens through a friend returning from US so it did not cost me the Indian market price.

Would like to the best ways to use this lens, and the precautions to be taken for longer life of the same.

If anyone can comeup with dos and donts list that would greatly help.

Thanks
Krishnadas N Mallya

Mrudul Godbole
04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Congrats on the new lens..!!

I have been using this lens for quite sometime now. You need to get used to the push-pull technique which is different from the other lenses. Other things about cleaning and handling is quite similar to the other lenses. Look forward to see the images.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Good to know about your new purchase.

Regarding storing you can read this: http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641

Also there was another in the tips section about photographing in rains. You can check.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rajan Kanagasabai
05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Hi

Have been using this for quite a few years as well. A great lens and an ideal one for travel, treks etc.

A few things you may want to keep in mind. Do get a blower, for in my case, i seem to be getting more dust forming on this lens, when compared to the others (i'm not sure if it is the suction mechanism) and secondly, do get a good filter. I normally take off the filter when i am shooting (i am told there is a bit of quality degradation with the extra optics) and put it right back when i am done with the shoot. Lastly, some good lens tissue will come in handy.

Look forward to seeing your pictures soon.

regards
Rajan

Krishnadas N Mallya
25-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Thank you all for replying.

I did some shooting with the new lens attached to 550D. I normally use the middle focusing point while shooting as most often in my neighborhood I find birds between the branches and it is hard to get the right subject focused if all focus point are active.

Even after the centre focusing point confirms focus the image end up being out of focus. This happens most often when the subject is over 6-10m range, any tips for preventing this?