PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Coster Chrysalis

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
The chrysalis (pupa) of a Tawny Coster butterfly Acraea violae. About 1 inch long. Found this on the stem of an Arrowhead plant (Sagittaria sp.) Not sure if the plant is exotic, and if so, to what degree the butterfly has a preference for this plant. There were pupae of the same species on other indigenous plants as well.

Canon 500D, 100mm Macro USM, Gorillapod
SS 1/25
Av 9.0
ISO 800
EC -1
Flash EC -2/3
(Flash fired from the left, simple white reflector on the right)

Thanks, C&C welcome

Joshi Bhavya
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Well Found and Captured. Nice Compo.. But Whiteness looks dull to me. TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Nicely done. The form of the pupa has come out well. Our butterflies and birds etc start adapting to the exotic vegetation after some time. However, each exotic plant has a different impact on the species.

Good to see that you are experimenting with reflectors. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Bhavya, I was thinking of increasing the brightness but wasnt sure. Will also have to check the higher flash output images...
Thanks.

Bibhav Behera
07-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Nice patterns. I like your use of reflectors which has ensured that the pupa is well lit. However the shine on the stalk still attracts more attention as a result of which the whites on the pupa look relatively dull. Look forward to more experiments and to learn more about the smaller creatures.

Mrudul Godbole
08-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Nice composition and details. The patterns look nice. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.