PDA

View Full Version : Tiger/Kabini

Praveen Siddannavar
08-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Call it a human tendency or natural instinct especially with wildlife enthusiast & photographers, it is very hard to get satisfied with images we click and animals we spot. Such was a case with me and my group, despite having two good sightings of leopards. We wanted more:) and why not it was our last game drive, so this lead to series of discussions about sightings a
t various locations, routes to try, track movements of these elusive cats and so on. However I am the last one to demand when it comes to a particular naturalist, to me all have enough knowledge, skills and are keen in spotting the cats. With so much superstitious minds playing, especially me, our naturalist too got changed at the last minute, but I had no complains whatsoever as to me anyone was more than welcome. But we had someone real special, the most senior naturalist with ~ 24 years of experience at JLR Kabini; he was none other than our own Umesh & on the other hand we happily continued with the same driver Muddu.
We all had agreed we will reach the check post as early as possible, but it didn’t happen for obvious reasons so I was really not keen to go by our original plan. As we reached the check post, I advised Muddu to take the Udboor boating point route that was completely in opposite direction to what we had planned the previous night. Believe me we had spent hours to make a plan but it got changed in a matter of seconds. The good part was our group was very cooperative so no questions or arguments on this decision.
We drove through the udboor boating point route, and realized that the mist was very dense but we didn’t have any choice, so we continued to drive through Kumbalgalli and later passed through the old MM road. No sighting of any animals except for deers, a brown fish owl was seen at a distance. We reached the sunset point and spent about 5-10 minutes, Umesh our senior naturalist was sharing his experience that he recently had spotted a tiger walking along side of the backwaters in presence of some 100 spotted deers and none of them chose to give an alarm call. Upon hearing this our drive Muddu pulled out his binoculars and had a good look on the banks of backwaters of Kabini River, but no sight of any cats, of course there were herd of spotted deers and a small herd of Indian Gaurs that we could see.
The time was 7am, we decided to drive from this point and as we reached the junction of the Eucalyptus plantation, our drive muddu had no intention to drive towards the plantation but at the last minute Umesh our naturalist asked him to drive right, on to the eucalyptus plantation. As we drove about 15 meters inside the plantation, Umesh whispered Tiger tiger tiger… pointing towards our left. Hats off to him to hold his excitement, to me Umesh seemed as cool as cucumber, despite having spotted a Tiger and we all know how difficult it is to find one especially at Kabini.
We instantly fired the shots in burst mode; you must be wondering why/how we reacted so quickly.
A huge male tiger was not far away, as per my camera details he was exactly 17 meters from our jeep. I have photographed many tigers in various national parks or tiger reserves and have also visited kabini so many times but had never ever got a clear or rather decent image of a tiger at Kabini. Indeed this was a special moment and an extra ordinary sighting. I am sharing an image that was my first shot of this handsome young male, to know what happens next, stay tuned.

“The air we breathe and the water we drink stem from the biodiversity of the universal environment and its economics. The tiger is at the center of this truth. If it goes, we go.” - Billy Arjan Singh

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon f4 500mm lens
EXIF - ISO 1600 Av 4 Tv 1/640 sec EC - 0.3, Subject distance 17 M, Small crop, time shot 7:10am

Mrudul Godbole
08-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Nice closeup. Wish the leaf was not blocking the left eye, but nothing you can do about it. I think a lower ISO would have sufficed. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Watchful at the unknown intruder, but not concerned. Eyes look so nice. Hiding pose, perfect camouflage in summer.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S: Is it reasonable to presume that Kabini is known for its leopards because of large langur population, leopard's favourtie prey.

Bhargava Srivari
09-11-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't think I never really got an impression that Kabini has more Langur population than other herbivores. Kabini, with its magical habitat, has very large prey base in the form of extremely healthy population of spotted deer, sambar, gaur and langur. Not only that the jungle has strong numbers of Leopards but off late there has been a good increase in Tiger population reported. The one reason that springs to my mind when I think about an inspiring co-existence of leopards and tigers in this particular jungle is: the high number of leopard favoring trees! From what I have observed in the last several years, the leopards of kabini come down on the ground only for some basic fulfillment- territory marking, food and water. At all other times, they are seen resting on trees. The story isn't similar in other parks that border Kabini though; say in Bandipur, in the 8 years and 40 odd trips I have made, I have never seen a leopard on tree. I don't mean to say leopards don't climb trees there but just that it is not as common as in Kabini. For some reason, I observe that we don't see or hear of leopard sightings on trees as much from other parts of India as it is from Kabini. It will be interesting to hear more on this from other members who have seen more of jungles.

Suraj Sreedhar
09-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Framed by nature:001_smile:.Nice close up & eye contact.Nice to see tiger images from Kabini.
TFS

Surya Mohapatra
09-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Wow...nice shot.
I am feeling - I am seating near to lovely Tiger and moving my hand on his head and his eyes showing me the love.

Murugan Anantharaman
10-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Amazing closeup Praveen. The tiger seems really close. Waiting to hear what happened next. Thanks for sharing.

Manasi Chaphalkar
10-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Great Close up..perfectly captured..

Regards
Manasi Chaphalkar

Rajan Kanagasabai
14-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Bhargava's point on Leapords prefering trees at Kabini is quite an interesting one and yes, if you relate to personal experiences, there have been more sightings of these cats on the trees at Kabini when compared to Bandipur / Mudumalai or even Parambikulam.

Beautiful narration Praveen and a nice close up.

Awaiting the next phase of the suspense . . . . thanks for sharing.

regards
Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
16-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Nice image. Leopards are partial to langur meat. I have seen leopards trying to hunt langurs in Kabini.

You will find leopards resting more on the ground if the apex predator is not around. The leopard behaviour changes depending on the presence of tigers and dholes. Having said that leopards of bandipur do climb trees. :D A simple search for leopard images from bandipur will dispel the myth that there are no or less suitable trees for leopards.