PDA

View Full Version : Pl. identify this bird

Amit Paralikar
09-06-2009, 05:21 AM
i took this photograph @corbett np. it looks like Dollar Bird but the colour is different. The tech. details are: Camera - Canon S5IS ISO 80 EV-1/124 sec AV-6.0EV in manual mode.:)

Bibhav Behera
09-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Hi Amit,
The photo has not been attached probably. please attach the image along

Mrudul Godbole
09-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi Amit,

Welcome to IndiaWilds..!!

It seems the bird was far off, so it is a bit difficult to comment on the id. Compact cameras give good details if the subject is close. The light is a bit harsh too so the eyes are not clearly visible.

Do you have any other photographs taken of this?

Abhishek Jamalabad
10-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Welcome to indiawilds,
Mrudul is right, details are not clear enough, but I think it is definitely a DOLLAR BIRD, most of the bird books officially call it the ORIENTAL BROAD BILLED ROLLER. Did you see it flying? It should have a pale blue patch on the wings. As for the colour difference, you cant rely on bird books for the exact accurate colouration, it even varies from book to book. Also, this bird exists in 4 races across India (salim ali ed.13) each with different shades. This is probably race calonyx. A very good sighting, I should say!
Can't say much about behaviour, sorry

Amit Paralikar
12-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks eveybody for ur comments. This is another bird taken at Corbett NP which i cud not identify. Camera: Canon S5IS ISO:80 Auto mode f/4.0 EV :1/399. Reg. attachment of photo, i have Fedora 10 os on my computer & resizing is what i am learning.

Kiran Ghadge
12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes I think first image is of Dollarbird and second Common Hawk-cuckoo to me....

Abhishek Jamalabad
12-06-2009, 01:49 PM
COmmon cuckoo.( I suppose its the same as hawk cuckoo)
Habits: arboreal, feeds on hairy caterpillars and insects like cicadas.
Just a request, Amit: Please don't post 2 different photos in the same thread.

AB Apana
15-06-2009, 08:01 AM
It must be a Dollarbird since Bikram Grewal lists it in a trip report.

http://www.kolkatabirds.com/corbett/corbetttripreport.htm

Apana