PDA

View Full Version : Jackals in Kabini Forests!

Praveen Siddannavar
16-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I shot this image at Kabini recently & this is the first time I have ever seen a Jackal in Kabini forest. It was yet another misty wintery morning, we were driving towards Balle and suddenly we noticed that a large group of spotted deers were running helter- skelter as though a tigress was chasing them. We had spotted a tigress in the same area previous evening and it is quite oblivious that she would come to our mind first.
Upon driving further we saw a pair of Jackals (male and female), they were in no mood to attack but were on the move. We followed them for a while and finally the Jackals decided that they will rest and the male jackal came on the man made track and posed for me for a while.

Another observation during this sighting was none of the spotted deers chose to give alarm calls on seeing the jackals, however when a langur saw them he gave loud alarm calls similar to the one they tend to do when they see a predator. It was amazing to make some early morning images with these jackals. We were fortunate to spot them again next day.

The Jackals are subspecies of Golden Jackal and are native to India. Its fur is a mixture of black and white, with buff on the shoulders, ears and legs. The buff color is more pronounced in specimens from high altitudes. Black hairs predominate on the middle of the back and tail. The belly, chest and the sides of the legs are creamy white, while the face and lower flanks are grizzled with grey fur.

Jackals are predominantly scavengers and when solitary they are also know to follow the tigers to share the kill & this is known as "Commensal Relationships".

Camera Used - Canon 1D Mark IV with Canon f4 500mm lens + 1.4x TC
EXIF : ISO 800 Av 5.6 Tv 1/160 sec, EC - 0.3, cropped for composition

Mrudul Godbole
16-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Nice pose and stare. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
16-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Wonderful image. Noticeably large. Predominance of dark hairs, but this beauty is neither black or tawny, in between. It co-exists with tiger as you have said, wary of leopard which preys on them.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Praveen Siddannavar
16-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys for comments, just got information that last time Jackals at Kabini forest were sighted in 1996. It is only now after over 15 years they have been spotted again.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Nice image. I like the eye contact. We had seen a jackal when we had gone there for Nokia management team meet. I had driven down and others had preferred the luxury of train to mysore followed by drive to Kabini.

Kenneth Anderson had written a story about a jackal leading a maneating tiger. There are some local stories about it. Biologists dispute it as fiction/ stories for children etc.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

V S Sankar
17-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Nice image and seems like a sort of record shot.Good bit of info again,thanks for that.Eager to know the folk story....

Regards

Roopak Gangadharan
17-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Nice image and good write up praveen.Like the eye contact and the pose.

They are quite common in the country side and the howling chorus used be such a common sound just before night fall. Intelligent creatures but carry a bad reputation and there are many stories of their wily tricks. The lone jackal accompanying the maneater is one of my all time favourites of KA. I guess it is the Ramapuram tiger. If im not wrong Sher Khan of jungle book also has a jackal for company. Corbet has also written about this.I think there must be some truth to this legend.

TFS
Roopak