PDA

View Full Version : Indian Grey Mongoose looking towards its left, very focused and alert

Atul Sinai
20-11-2012, 07:09 PM
This mongoose is mother of two, it appeared to be moving to grab some food. Along the way it found me on its path. I was motionless sitting on the ground with the camera set up on a tripod.

It was curious and unsure about the new object on its path. It approached towards me taking nervous steps, then going back to the bush on its left, this happened 4 times.

Finally instead of coming straight at me, it crossed the path and moved into the field on its right. It felt safe moving through the field as it took a round turn and came from behind me.

Moving ahead I found 2 kids on a nearby mango tree. They latter on joined their mother. They were very playful and oblivious to the concerns of their mother.

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Canon 400mm f5.6
Exposure: Manual
Focus: Auto
Metering: Manual
Shutter Speed: 1/500
Aperture: f6.3
ISO: 500
Focal Length: 400mm
cropped by 28%
tripod support

Saktipada Panigrahi
20-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Nice image. Nice agile pose. Where there are birds, there will be rats and snakes (and eggs of all). Mongoose being basically a hunter, it will appear in the scene.The image forms a part of ecological balance being maintained on the banks of your love -'River Mula'.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
21-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Lovely pose and eye contact. Nice observation of its behavior. I had seen 2 mongoose cubs peeking out of their hole in Bharatpur very close to the road, they were looking out for their mother. Could you photograph the cubs? Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
22-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Nice image and observation Atul
tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
22-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Reducing the colour temperature and a bit of saturation will enhance the image. The mongoose due to its sharp teeth also helps in cutting open the thick hide of animals. That helps in other animals to start feeding on the carcass of dead animals.

Atul Sinai
22-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I got the images of cubs. Will post them soon.