PDA

View Full Version : Common Kestrel

Bibhav Behera
21-11-2012, 08:39 PM
I found this cute Kestrel in Hesarghatta. It was calmly perched on a bush, when something caught its attention and it flew to the ground at the base of a shrub. I decided to approach it closer and got out of my car. Slowly in a prone position I crawled closer to around 7 feet with the sun behind my back and me making a move when it looked the other way or was busy digging for a worm. The camo clothing helped. At one point I realised that my camera was not able to get focus of the bird. As I looked out of the viewfinder, I realised I was around 4 feet from it, both on the ground. I put down my camera and enjoy my upclose moment with this beauty for a few more seconds. It flew!!!

Canon EOS 7D, 420mm
SS 1/1250 (+0.3)
f/7.1
ISO 400

Full Frame image. Comments and critiques welcome.

Saktipada Panigrahi
21-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Nice image. Its a female. Nice perch and pose. I liked your write-up.

Amano Samarpan has written that ' it has the ability to see a different colour spectrum that highlights the urine of its prey and so helps in locating it'.

Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
21-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Neatly done Bibhav. nice eye contact and pose.

thanks for the interesting piece of information shakti sab.

TFS
Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
22-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice closeup. Good to know you could go so close. Fine composition and sharpness. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Sucheth Lingachar
22-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Beautifully done..... liked the color....

Abhishek Jamalabad
25-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Lovely. I like this image a lot. No nits and a real winner.
Getting as close as 4 feet is unbelievable and truly commendable. You should write a book on bird stalking :D ;).
TFS

Anand Madabhushi
26-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Excellent composition.