PDA

View Full Version : Tigers of Kabini

Praveen Siddannavar
22-11-2012, 09:34 AM
In continuation to my recent trip to Kabini, we had been allocated zone A for the afternoon game drive, I like this zone because it covers a lot of area and sightings are always a matter of luck, no one can guarantee you about spotting a cat. We had heard a leopard couple was seen in courtship around the temple area, so we decided to take a chance at that location. We took the hoskere entry and drove through the tiger tank, invariably at this location I always stop and I keep visualizing a tiger drinking water. But this didn’t happen, no regrets whatsoever and I still enjoy being at this location. After a while we decided to drive further and looked on the KV power line, no sightings of any animals except for spotted deers, our destination was temple road so we drove on GK road. As we were driving and reached the steep road, we noticed a forest dept jeep waiting. Our immediate reaction was to stop & so did our driver Raja do, and we all looked at the officials, there was no reaction from them and rightly so. All that we had to do is to look all around and more importantly in the direction where the officials were seeing. And yes on to our left, a huge tigress had just crossed the safari track and she was looking at us. Our fully loaded gears started firing instantly, it wasn’t easy position as there were so many obstructions in form of foliage, tree trunks but seeing a tiger is always a special moment and when it is from kabini, it simply goes over the top. I was told that she is the GK Tigress. For now I am sharing this image, I have few more to share as she gave us plenty of opportunity to photograph.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark, Canon f4 500mm
EXIF - ISO 800 Av 4 Tv 1/500 sec, almost full frame
13th Nov'12 @ 4:17pm

Joshi Bhavya
22-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Tigress has given Excellent pose, and you click in time. If you Get Right Ear image then, this will be huge but it is not always easy to shot in between tree and plants.. TFS

Mrudul Godbole
22-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Nice head turn and eye contact. Reducing the sharpening a bit would be good. Agree with Bhavya about the right ear. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
22-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Nice head-turn and eye contact. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Bhargava Srivari
23-11-2012, 10:03 AM
This was a memorable sighting. Given the vegetation and difficulty in finding a favorable angle, you have done well here. I think I have a few images with the tigress covered in full without too many obstructions; will share soon.

Tfs

Sucheth Lingachar
23-11-2012, 10:42 AM
good eye contact.... nicely captured

Roopak Gangadharan
23-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Lovely eye contact praveen, does it have cubs looks bit skinny or may be it is the angle.

TFS
Roopak

Praveen Siddannavar
27-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Roopak I don't think this tigress has cubs, none of my friends have sighted her with cubs, no such info from naturalists as well. She is good health, probably the angle may given an impression that she is skinny.
Kabini tigers are showing up only this year, so from now on we will keep track & document them.

Murugan Anantharaman
30-11-2012, 03:34 PM
She has piercing eyes and can get through into you, lovely eye contact. Thanks for sharing.