PDA

View Full Version : Sarus Crane in Flight

Dipankar Mazumdar
14-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Caught up with this sarus at Basai near Gurgaon. You can see evidences of urbanization encroaching up on the habitat of the crane. I was pretty far away, so this is a heavy crop. When i see the image at 100%, i see an awful amount of noise at ISO250, why is this ???

canon 50d + ef 300 f4 IS L at f4, 1/3200, ISO 250 at 300mm

Abhishek Jamalabad
14-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Good details, but yes, the noise is too visible, especially on the legs. Wonder why. Though I may not be in agreement with most viewers, I don't mind that background, as this image aptly portrays habitat destruction.

AB Apana
15-06-2009, 08:14 AM
I see noise in the BG, was it misty by any chance, or was there smog? I wish the eye was clearly visible. I don't mind the powerlines but the centrally placed fence posts are distracting.

Apana

Mrudul Godbole
15-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Thats a nice flying pose captured. The open beak is interesting. Would have loved a more natural surrounding. Intermittent ISO do cause more noise, but not sure if this might be the main reason in this.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Dipankar,
Nice flying pose. The light was harsh. It would have been good if you could have captured the wings either in complete upstroke or complete downstroke.

This shot was taken from a distance and hence the bird would have been small in the frame. I am sure, if you check your histogram you will find that it is towards the left side, meaning underexposed. In 50D you have to be careful about the exposure as the noise is higher in the shadows. The ideal way is to set the camera so that the histogram is more to the right. It doesn't matter if there are a few blinking highlights as you can always pull it back during post processing. Increasing the exposure during post processing will result in higher noise.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dipankar Mazumdar
16-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Dear Sabhyasachi Da, Apana

It was a typical muggy, dusty morning that day, do you think that could have also resulted in the noise???

Why was I not able to have a focussed eye??? was it due to the distance and lack of reach ??

Dipankar