PDA

View Full Version : Jim Corbett and Kenneth ANderson remembered in Wayanad

V S Sankar
02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
At last they have done it!A tiger which was a scare to the people of Wayand in Kerala has been laid to rest.It had been shot dead.It didnt move after the shot.No need to throw stones and make sure it was dead!The Jim Corbett sytle was not required this time around.......

Jim Corbettt and Kenneth Anderson lived at a time of the British Raj or might have been just after that or on both sides of the Independence divide.In their initial days they were known as just hunters and relished shooting tigers;most often man eaters.That was in the 20,s and 40's.Later they became conservationists.

Come back to the 20,s again!This time 2012.......

A tiger was on the prowl killing domestic cattles and goats.In the time of Jim and Anderson, they were called up only when humans were eaten by the tiger.Here the authorities were called up to put an end to the menace of the tiger for it was eating on their domesticated animals.

To be fair nobody wanted this moodern day tiger to be dead for many are aware of the importance of conservation and the need to protect the remaining wild beasts surviving in our forests.

But at the end of the day when it came to man vs tiger the man survived.Or should we say the cattle survived.

The latest news is that the people in charge of capturing this "cattle eater" tried to tranquilise it with one or two shots but it still charged at them.Then as a last resort it was shot dead.Acceptable answer or so it seems.

Why is that the modern day Indian Man is unable to tranquilise a tiger with one or two shots of the medicine?Have we not progressed in all walks of life?Or is it that the real experts dont join in the efforts to see that the tiger is captured alive?

I believe that to be a hero in our world, it is better to shoot the tiger.Capturing it alive is second coming.Kerala is a densely populated state and common people involve themselves in all sorts of things.There were thousands of them watching the tiger being shot dead.Did the presense of large no.of people put pressure on the authirities?

A few months ago a similar sort of tiger was caught and released into the forests.Sadly that didint happen to this tiger.About a year ago a leopard was killed by a bare handed man at Ranny.The heroism continues.....

I havn't seen a tiger being shot with a camera within Kerala State in recent times.But here it is done with a gun.

I think the "Man eaters of Kumaon" and "Nine Man eaters and one rogue "continues to motivate us in the other way around.....

I hope the modern day Jims and Kenneths wont come out with their stories of gunning down "cattle eating" tigers............!