PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Landing Sequence - 3

Rajan Kanagasabai
10-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Here is the Last one in the sequence with the same settings as the earlier one (5D M II, EF 400 f4.0 DO IS, 1/2500, f 5.6, ISO 400)

The bird hit the water, skidded for a while and suddenly there was this shreik. The body was still and the head got thrown forward and almost went under water. Then there was a wild flutter on a stationery point and then the whole thing was normal and the Pelican calmly started looking for fish.

We were puzzled on the whole event that played out before us until we saw a dejected fisherman who was hiding under the bridge, go out to retriving his net.

The bird had landed, skidded and one of the feet were stuck in the net, which kind of tagged and brought it to a sudden halt (like an aircraft landing on an aircraft carrier tagging a landing cable and the cable jerking the aircraft to a sudden halt). It was lucky that while fluttering wildly it got its feet unstuck from the net. We were only hoping that the sudden jerk did not harm its feet.

We reported this (with these pictures and a picture of the poacher) to the forest department folks we knew and they acted immediately. A patrol jeep was seen the next day morning and not a single fisherman was around. Hope this is kept up for a while and they will leave Kelambakkam for good and the Pelicans, Painted Storks, Ibis, Cranes, Terns and Gulls have a nice time.

regards
Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
11-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Rajan,
Great to know that you immediately informed people. I remember that once I had gone to the Mutukadu area and then suddenly found no birds. Upon enquiring that some poachers had come and fired at the birds and after that they had all left the area.

On another occassion on the bridge, early in the morning a group of pelicans flew over my head close to 10 feet away. It was a memorable feeling. These birds are trapped for their flesh. Pelicans being large, poachers eye them.

Mrudul Godbole
11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Wow never thought this will turn like this. I was thinking how come it missed its landing. Then after reading it fully, got to know it is not the pelican but us because of whom it suffered. Good you could take action and inform the FD immediately. I hope they do keep the fishermen away. You captured the right moment. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Great job Rajan sab and a nice series. what you have been able to do with the images is truly commendable and a good example for all of us on the value which nature photography can add in conservation efforts... if only one takes the time and effort.

TFS
Roopak