PDA

View Full Version : Pied Avocet

Prajwal J Ullal
18-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Last weekend I had been to a local creek called Khadi, along with few representatives of P.A.W.S., Dombivli and was astonished to find a huge range of birds that spend time so close to the human encroached land. Though the state of the creek/river was poor, filled with filt and sewage and highly abused due too continuous sand mining(run by local politicos), but these birds, though laid around on the other side of the bank, seemed to be pretty calm and flourishing and feeding in big groups.
One such visitor was the Pied Avocet, which according to the P.A.W.S. reps was the first ever sighting in this area. Here is one of the frames I could capture.
EXIF:
Canon EOS 550D
Canon 55-250 IS
Exposure 1/2000sec
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 250 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias -1 EV
Hand Held

Roopak Gangadharan
18-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Nice record. There have been sightings down south even in kerala and it is a regular in Gujarat.

TFS
Roopak

Rajan Kanagasabai
18-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Lovely flight pose and the high shutter has helped with details. Loved the composition with good space towards the direction the bird is flying into. Did you also experiment with a lower apreture ?

Thanks for sharing

regards
Rajan

Prajwal J Ullal
18-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't experiment with lower aperture as it was very difficult to go closer to it, at that moment we were on a ferry, and the moment I could think of making any change in settings it would be off...
Shall be planning to revisit this place and will surely keep this point in mind :)

Mrudul Godbole
23-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Nice flight pose captured. The upward wing stroke looks nice. Sad to hear that the place is losing the habitat due to the pollution and garbage. Were there a good numbers of birds visiting the area? Thanks for sharing.

Prajwal J Ullal
24-12-2012, 10:44 AM
There surely were a good no. of plovers, stints, Northern Shovelers and spot billed ducks. This was basically a shock to witness these many birds in such a place, though its not in hundreds, but they surely were around 30 to 50 of them

Sabyasachi Patra
13-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Wish light was there on the head. That would have strengthened the image.