PDA

View Full Version : Purple Rumped Sunbird

Murugan Anantharaman
18-12-2012, 11:57 AM
This sunbird would just not stay in one place. There werent flowers in the tree where it was hopping from one place to another, hence capturing it was a big challenge. Finally managed to get a ok types shot.Again from my balcony :)

Nikon D7000,f/7.1,SS 1/125,ISO 400,ec +.3,fl 300mm. Cropped quite a bit hence the noise.

Rajan Kanagasabai
18-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Lovely pose and colors Muruganji, loved the perch and the pose. Agree, would have been even better without the noise. Wondering if a lower apreture would have given you a higher shutter speed or maybe allowed you to experiment with a lower ISO.

Thanks for sharing

regards
Rajan

Roopak Gangadharan
18-12-2012, 08:59 PM
nice colours murugan, the challenge with this bird is to get the full splendour of the colours on it neck with the rest of the plumage

i dont know much about nikon bodies but surprising to see so much noise @ ISO 400.

TFS
Roopak

Murugan Anantharaman
19-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Rajanji: My bad, the aperture was actually 5.6 only, by mistake I typed it as 7.1.I was looking at another image and mixed it up.

Roopak: The problem is not with Nikon bodies. Its me :). This is a massive crop and I have also over sharpened which is why the image is grainy.I messed it up in short :(

Sabyasachi Patra
19-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I agree that a longer focal length would have been very useful here with the same exif details. Good to see so many species from your balcony.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
21-12-2012, 08:51 AM
These birds are not very easy to photograph, as Roopak has said it's tough to get all the colours exposed correctly. Plus they are quite skittish. But then there's the challenge :). They make good backyard birds to practise on. You need good light for these birds, so it helps to study their pattern of activity and position yourself accordingly to get the right light. Keep trying.
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
13-01-2013, 08:23 PM
I agree with Abhishek that maintaining some sort of activity log will increase your understanding and serve as a nice record of the movement of birds.