PDA

View Full Version : Sashaying queen!

Bhargava Srivari
08-01-2013, 12:19 PM
In every jungle trip that gets to be called successful, I have had an intriguing experience where it is usually ONE particular safari that comes to make the difference between an average trip and an extra-ordinary one. In the trip I made to Gir, in fact my first ever there, had one such jungle drive. Yes, even in the initial 4 drives we saw the odd Lion here and a few birds there, not to forget the ubiquitous herbivores, but it was this specific safari that transformed the entire experience of Gir. About 20 min into the jungle, we saw a few lionesses walking through the forest; then a few more appeared and they were 11 in total. For us, who had only seen Lions lazing around until then, this was a special moment. We followed the pride all the way to a water pond where they were joined by a large male Lion that gulped water for what seemed like forever, but those images are for another time :)

Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 300 f/2.8 L IS II USM + 1.4x extender III | f/4, ISO 320, 1/500 sec, EC -1/3, evaluative metering | Gir, Gujrat | May 2012.

P.S: Made a tight composition because of the habitat with too much human interference (read: cemented water hole, building the BG).

Saktipada Panigrahi
09-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Nice portrait of the large female cub. Spots are still visible. Colours have come out well. Long way to go to be 'The Queen'.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
09-01-2013, 01:23 PM
The walking pose with the raised paw looks nice. Good eye contact. Nice low angle. You photographed it from a gypsy? Thanks for sharing.

Bhargava Srivari
09-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Mrudul,

Yes, of course I shot this from a gypsy.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Nice to see this cub. Some light on the eyes would have made this image shine. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi