PDA

View Full Version : Jacana ?

Rajan Kanagasabai
17-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Found this one on the Pallikarnai Lake. Not sure what this one is (though it does look like some Jacana).

Subject was very far and hence had to use a TX to reach around 800MM

400D, Canon 100-400 EFL, 2X, F 11, 1/500, ISO 200, Bean Bag shot

regards
Rajan

Bibhav Behera
17-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi Rajan, its a pheasant tailed jacana... There is a bit of shake in this image. Wonder if a 2x is advisable with a 100-400? Comments anyone?

Rajan Kanagasabai
17-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I guessed as much on the shake as well. Maybe due to the running car engine (shot this with the bean bag rested on the window).

You are right, i have read soemwhere that a 2X is not advisable on any zoom (read non prime), but as i said, these birds were almost 1000 meters away and no other option for a record shot.

regards
Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
17-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Rajan,
You did very well considering the car engine was on. The 2x definitely decreases the image quality in the 100-400. However, it would have been much better if the car engine was switched off. Also, I would have tried using the mirror lock up.

Also please check the point of focus. It appears to be slightly behind the bird. You can just open the image in zoom browser and you will see the focus point.

Scientific name: Hydrophasianus chirurgus
Quoting from Salim Ali 12th Edition:
id tips: Breeding birds identified by sickle shaped tail. Non-breeding birds with black necklace on upper breast. So this one is an adult non-breeding.
Habitat: Jheels and ponds with floating vegetation.
Distribution: Sub-continent, Sri Lanka.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

AB Apana
18-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Agree with Sabyasachi's comments. Further, this might have been taken in harsh light, the whites and blacks have lost detail.

Apana

Ashish Parmar
18-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Pheasant-tailed Jacana (Hydrophasianus chirurgus)