PDA

View Full Version : Bird Catalogue

Anil Kumar Verma
10-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi All,

I have been visiting India wilds for some time . Suggest to have a Bird catalogue for at least Indian Birds on this site. The pictures in this catalogue can be updated based on best available at that point of time.

Would like to hear from you & seek your opinion on this.

We can request Sabyasachi Da for incorporating this on this site.

Regards/Anil Kumar Verma

Sabyasachi Patra
11-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I think we can do a catalogue. However, that requires painstaking efforts. I would like to hear the views of others as well.

Abhishek Jamalabad
18-01-2013, 03:21 PM
It might be a good idea to have a database rather than a catalogue, since the latter are easily available from other sources, online or as books.
In a database, members can submit the details of the animal (once ID is confirmed), time and location, behaviour observed, sex/age and photographs if any. In a database, overlap of species accounts is most welcome (undesirable in a catalogue).
Of course, as sabyasachi mentioned, managing it is not going to be easy.

Murugan Anantharaman
23-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Though its a great idea, someone has to be on the job for it regularly. I agree with Sabysachi that it could be painstaking.

However, we could have an index of birds tagged to the images in the birds section. Meaning, when one uploads an image of a bird they could tag it to the category/type/name of the bird. So if one wants to look at a particular bird/category, they click on the index item and it displays all images taken by our members of that particular bird/category.

Atleast this will ensure that the catalogue contains images taken by our members along with the narration of the birding incident.