PDA

View Full Version : Rock Eagle Owl

Anshul Jain
23-01-2013, 07:14 AM
I am using 7D with 100-400mm.
Wadhwan is in Surindernagar, Gujrat. The reports are correct, even I have a couple of shots(which I have not posted anywhere) where the owl was forced to fly, by someone else to which we objected, and later regretted to having taken a picture at all.
I also wanted a clarification, whether it is wrong to even try and approach a bird. I reached within 15ft of this owl, although it took me about 15 minutes and numerous barbs.
The image: 1/250, f5.6, iso800, handheld.

Sucheth Lingachar
23-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Nice Eye contact.... small catch light looking good..... is this full frame.....?
It would have been good if u would have taken full body.....

Mrudul Godbole
23-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Nice eye contact. I feel you can approach a bird, so that you don't disturb it. You can try going close as you did, slowly, crawling or by using a hide. Agree with Sucheth. Try to compose images in rectangular or vertical framing than present square composition. Thanks for sharing.

P.S - I shifted this to a new thread as you had posted a different image.

Anshul Jain
23-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I have cropped it a bit. The owl was sitting in grass, hence feet were not visible. I will keep the part about composition in mind. I took portrait shots as well, but they did not come out sharp.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-01-2013, 03:48 PM
I agree with the previous comments. I generally prefer caution. Most of the times I have seen beginners just walk straight into the subject, as if they are walking in the park. Take your time. Relax and move slowly. The subject will be comfortable and you will get enough opportunities to get good close ups.

15 feet is close. At times when one is on a vehicle, the owl allows closer approach. They don't move at all and hope that their camouflage will not give away. If you make a hasty approach to move closer they fly away.

Hymakar Valluru
24-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Anshul, Great image agree with comments of Sucheth, Approaching the birds needs some amount of practice, As Sabyasachi mentioned they dont fly away when you are in a vehicle, One needs to be careful when they move from the car to the ground, also make sure you move closer to the bird only when its not looking in your direction without making too much noise. You have to be much more watchful with shy birds.

Last week i was in a safari jeep, when i sighted the Black francolin from a 100 mtr distance i had asked driver to brake slowly.. Bolero being bolero braking sound was little louder than i thought and the Black francolin a rare sighting could not captured in the camera.. it just disappeard and never appeared again.

Even large birds like Flamingos sight a human approaching them in their direction and turn their back towards them and as you approach closer to will away faster, if you get as close as 200 mtrs they will just flyaway.