PDA

View Full Version : Hypocolius (Hypocolius ampelinus)

Mrudul Godbole
24-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I photographed this migratory bird in the Greater Rann of Kutch.

Canon 1D mark IV, Canon 100-400mm L IS USM, 1/1000, f7.1, ISO 640 (forgot to lower it), hand held, full frame

Some information about this species from Wikipedia -

The Grey Hypocolius or simply Hypocolius (Hypocolius ampelinus) is a small passerine bird species. They fly in flocks and forage mainly on fruits, migrating south in winter. The Grey Hypocolius is a slim bird with a long tail, slight crest and thick, short hook-tipped bill. Its shape and soft, satiny plumage resembles that of the waxwing. Birds are mainly a uniform grey or brownish-grey colour, with males having a black triangular mask around the eyes. They have white-tipped black primary wing feathers and a black terminal band on the tail. Adults are about 19–21 cm in length.

Comments and critiques welcome..

Sabyasachi Patra
24-01-2013, 06:00 PM
This is a rare passerine. The eye contact is nice. The habitat has come out well. I hope to record the call of this bird.

Rajan Kanagasabai
25-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Lovely capture of the rare bird Mrudul. The habitat makes it even more interesting and by the way congrats on the Mark IV.

regards
Rajan

Saktipada Panigrahi
25-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Nice sighting and eye contact. The features of Male are clear. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Murugan Anantharaman
25-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Nice bird Mrudul. I am seeing this bird for the first time. Looks like chocolate :). I feel the focus seems to have locked on the leaves in front of the bird. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
25-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Nice record of this winter visitor Mrudul. wish you had got it closer.
TFS
Roopak